First time on a harley

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
A first for me - never ridden a Harley before 8)

I've had italian, Jap & German bikes - currently on a BMW F800ST and finding the riding position uncomfortable (a sign I'm getting old :lol: ) and fancied having a go on a Harley to see what the fuss was about

Can only say wow! completely different riding experience, especially as this was an 883 Iron with Vance & Hines pipes, v.loud - took some piccies whilst I was out for a test ride

9f3e4e6f.jpg

8a5ac367.jpg

e72cd34e.jpg

Putting a deposit on a black one 8) :

3629898935_539f0b5080.jpg

Massive harley fan.
Want a soft tail night train in matt black With a springer front end myself.
Pretty much this bike with the right paint.... like the last pic you posted.

DSC_6827.jpg

creationblue said:
Im an Aprilia Mille owner but i have to say the black Hog looks fookin mint 8)

Just

Nice bike 8) - guy at work has a Tuono and loves it - I had an RS 125 :mrgreen: - most fun bike I've had for cornering, and as an Aprillia had all the trick parts like alloy frame e.t.c. - can tell the different when you compare to other bikes the racing pedigree

toastiemaker said:
Massive harley fan.
Want a soft tail night train in matt black With a springer front end myself.
Pretty much this bike with the right paint.... like the last pic you posted.

I have to admit I wasn't into Harley's at all - just took a test ride to see what the fuss was about (and an excuse to go for a nice ride on a different bike!) - I'm not into the chrome and leather but the dark custom range is freakin' awesome IMO

I bought an Iron in the end 8) - though without the mental pipes for now - though I can see me doing plenty of upgrades as time goes by, certainly a 1200 conversion in a few years as the power is good, but not at all quick!

And a bonus - it's air cooled :D

Here's mine:

b8994555.jpg

Off to Bury bike show tomorrow with my brother and a friend so should be nice - shame it's forecast to p*$$ it down!

Just to add that I'm loving the bike - would recommend a test for anyone inclined

Last week I got a stage 1 kit put on - Vance & Hines Short shots with a Screamin' Eagle heavy breather and ECU remap

Now looks like this:

Iron.jpg

Sounds amazing - buildings shake, people fall to their knees :msn4: - hopefully I'll get away with running the pipes as it's a harley, just have to see what the neighbours do and if plod stop me ........ :mrgreen:

Though thinking back to the exhausts I've had on old mini's and the *ahem* consideration I showed in my youth! At the moment I'm almost idling into my village and around towns to not scare the crap out of anyone - though there are much louder vehicles on the road - I'm hoping as it releases the harley sound that you'd have thought it would come with from the factory (damn those californian regulations) that it should be acceptable

My Dyna Superglide

insurancepics2010008.jpg

Best thing I ever did was pass my motorcycle test.... this is my 4th Harley.... Wouldnt ride anything else :D :D

gninnam said:
Girls and fat American men bikes :msn4: :lol:

:D - though like the VW scene I'm learning, apparently sportster riders are a whole different sub set within the HD world :shock:

If those of you think you have issues with rust on your 40 year old campers......my bike is parked in the garage next to the van - in the last 12 months the rust on the van hasn't got any worse.....

This is my 4000 mile bike:

rust.jpg

rust4.jpg

rust3.jpg

6b743ca2.jpg

rust5.jpg

rust2.jpg

:D - though like the VW scene I'm learning, apparently sportster riders are a whole different sub set within the HD world :shock:

Greetings :mrgreen: Looks like you have some serious corrosion issues there!! I think it has been quite a common problem during the last couple of years :shock: :shock:
There have been a number of writeups on the hdrcgb website

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you havn't already then get yourself over there and check it out, great site and great people, like earlybay !

Have you been back to dealer and tried to get it sorted under warranty!!
Mine is an 04 1200custom with a little chrome, carb model with screeming eagle pipes and stage one etc, but i must say there is no rust or corrosion anywhere, all the chrome seems a good thick coating and all i do is wash it and chammy it down afterwards. But i know that latter versions of my bike do suffer with the dreaded tin worm :shock:

a couple of pics of mine

194.jpg

199.jpg

202.jpg

and yes i do ride it in the rain :D

Have a look here :shock:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-evo-sportsters/68199-rusty-new-sportster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simo said:
Have a look here :shock:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-evo-sportsters/68199-rusty-new-sportster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hi mate - have to say thats a very nice sporty you have there! Loving how clean it is - that chrome buffs up well :)

Yes - my pics are in the post on HDRCGB and I have a thread going on the XL forum with updates - its going to the dealer this week and harley are coming out to look at it and advise what they will do......fingers crossed they'll do the right thing and sort it all out on warranty but they could blame it on salt corrosion and lack of care - but as it's rusting from underneath the paint I'm hoping it will be pretty clear and I'll get it sorted out!

cool - surley it should last a bit longer than it has - even if it had been rode hard, left out all year and not even came close to a sponge!

fingers crossed for you fella ;)

whats your monika on hdrc?

Have had all sorts of bikes over the years, the 170 mph ZX10 was fun, the 900ss Ducati sounded and felt soooooooo good. Bought a new 883 Sporty after riding my cousins 1340 lowrider sport when visiting him in California back in '89.
Looked nice, sounded good when the baffles were dispensed with, but have to say, shock horror, what a piece of crap. I LOVE twins, but this vibrated so bad it was impossible to see above 40mph, the finish was so poor that after 4 months most of the ally and laquered parts had been replaced under warranty. From the above posts it sounds as if things have not improved. That along with a tank range of 80 miles meant the dream was shattered and I sold it on. Replaced with a 1980 BMW R80-7. What a bloody fantastic bike! Used to put the hard panniers on and go chasing RD250s. Quite probably the funniest thing I have ever done in my life! The look on their faces whilst hanging off, overtaking and scraping the Krauser panniers around roundabouts on a grandad bike, is a picture I shall take to the grave!!! I rue the day I sold it to get a house deposit together and really want to get the Laverda 650 sport currently taking up room in the garage, gone to make space. Should another bike take up residence, it would undoubtly be a BMW twin. A good mate of mine had a 1200 sportster which he loved, but had to make the move back to the Bavarian master, they just do the job so, so ,so well and really are so nice to ride. Flat twin, flat four, the same engineering train of thought, same genius!!!!

Pete B said:
Have had all sorts of bikes over the years, the 170 mph ZX10 was fun, the 900ss Ducati sounded and felt soooooooo good. Bought a new 883 Sporty after riding my cousins 1340 lowrider sport when visiting him in California back in '89.
Looked nice, sounded good when the baffles were dispensed with, but have to say, shock horror, what a piece of crap. I LOVE twins, but this vibrated so bad it was impossible to see above 40mph, the finish was so poor that after 4 months most of the ally and laquered parts had been replaced under warranty. From the above posts it sounds as if things have not improved. That along with a tank range of 80 miles meant the dream was shattered and I sold it on. Replaced with a 1980 BMW R80-7. What a bloody fantastic bike! Used to put the hard panniers on and go chasing RD250s. Quite probably the funniest thing I have ever done in my life! The look on their faces whilst hanging off, overtaking and scraping the Krauser panniers around roundabouts on a grandad bike, is a picture I shall take to the grave!!! I rue the day I sold it to get a house deposit together and really want to get the Laverda 650 sport currently taking up room in the garage, gone to make space. Should another bike take up residence, it would undoubtly be a BMW twin. A good mate of mine had a 1200 sportster which he loved, but had to make the move back to the Bavarian master, they just do the job so, so ,so well and really are so nice to ride. Flat twin, flat four, the same engineering train of thought, same genius!!!!

The crying shame is that I PX'd a 2008 F800ST Beemer for the sporty :( (though it was an inline twin? no side to side shaky shaky boxer type effect)

Simo> I'm not registered on the HDRCGB - it was a nice chap who saw it on the XL forum who cross posted it - will sign up as it seems like a nice place!

Latest is that the area manager from HD came to look at the bike on Tuesday and verbally advised he'd get it sorted (and then went into great detail about all the protective chemicals that harley sell to embalm your bike against the rain that I should be using as it's a daily ride :roll: )

Not heard yet what they are planning to do - he said they would need to shot blast the frame and take all the paint off.....I can see the bike being off the road for some time :( - which is a shame as it's a blast to ride (and no bike = take the bus out in the rain!!!)

Just an update - HD are sorting it but it will be with the dealer for at least 3 weeks - this is my daily commute say that sucks, the dealer had said they'd stump up with a loan bike but were trying to find one of their demo's that I could put some large amount of miles on

In the end I reached a compromise - they are PX'ing the bike as if it was in perfect condition and will then take over getting it sorted out with HD and back on the forecourt and will have to standby the repair from HD

Long story short I save myself a load of hassle going back and forth - I've put a deposit on a spanking new Harley 48 8)

Low-Suspension-Harley-Davidson-Fourty-Eight-2010.jpg

I always wanted one of these and luckily now can afford to upgrade - problem solved (now is HD's to sort out) and I get a new bike at a fair price

Just pleased that it's been sorted - as with the van - just hate it when your pride and joy has issues and it's down to kicking other people to sort it out

Good move - love the look of the 48 :mrgreen:
as you say takes the hassel away from you, are you using black bear?
If you get up and running on the hdrc site put an update on there, i have seen your pics on a rusty new sportster post , put some pics on here when you pick it up 8)

I love the sound of a Harley V-twin, potato potato potato potato :lol:

Karl

Latest posts