Fitted CSP Drum's - Loud screeching noise?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've just had some New CSP drum's fitted front and rear a couple of days ago. Also had new shoes and bearings fitted.

Driving home all was good until about 20mins/20miles when I started hearing a screeching noise that just got louder and louder; Went out for another drive yesterday and today and same happened.

Garage where I had them fitted is not open again till Tuesday, but contacted them and they suggested it could possibly be the back plate catching?

So went to another local garage, they took one of the front wheels/drum off, everything looked fine; Only issue was when the drum was back on, gave it a spin, it seemed somewhere to be catching the backplate as you could feel the vibration on the back of the backplate.

Checked on thesamba, seen a few posts about some CSP drum issues; Potentially backplates having the raised area catch the drum. The fixes varied from adding shims to the bearing, to effectively push the drum away from the backplate slightly, to either modifying the back plate or having the drums skimmed.

So, anyone who's fitted CSP drums and had similar issues - Any idea what this might be or how you went about to fixing it?
Do you need use a certain bearing? Or different backplate?

Thanks.

Have they over tightened the front bearings?

I had one of these seize some years ago for the same reason. It was over-tightened to the point where it got hot enough to burn the grease / turn it liquid and eventually the bearing gave up.

Have they over tightened the front bearings?

I had one of these seize some years ago for the same reason. It was over-tightened to the point where it got hot enough to burn the grease / turn it liquid and eventually the bearing gave up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

When we took the new CSP drum off, the grease looked OK; I'll add a photo below.

No smell of burning.

Also couldn't actually see any wearing on the backplate - just could feel it catching somewhere.

1000003527.jpg

1000003529.jpg

I’ve just had all sorts of issues with replacing brake components as there seems to be so many variables and new stuff just don’t want to fit nicely. My little suggestions that’ll cost you next to nothing are firstly if you can’t track it down any other way,, I’d very lightly chamfer the leading edge/ corner of the shoes but only as a last resort, I’d even adjust the shoes up first nicely then get them both two clicks back , then you’ll know if you need to chamfer them. Secondly, I’d colour the back plate edge with something that will give you a witness mark , either engineers blue or a tiny dust of talcum powder, pop the drum back on, give it a spin and see what transfers.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,bloody brakes,,, who needs em anyway :) :rolleyes: :)

EDIT.

P.S.
Don’t forget that talcum powder can also be used as a lubricant so don’t go crazeeeee with it :eek:;):eek:

Latest posts