fitted new tach - what revs for cruise/shift?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
Hi,

Really wanted a monster tach, but, funds couldn't justify just yet - so got a generic cheap one off ebay for approx £35

It's housing is "chromed plastic" and a bit boy racer blue lighting but does the job! - wired in and seeing that I'm idling at 750 rpm which is good

Now the question is - I've got a 1641 (just barrels and pistons changed) with twin 34 ICT's and a single quiet pack - so what is a good rev guide for cruising? I usually cruise around 55 as with the previous lack of any additional dials/info just wanted to chug along without stressing out the engine - my brother has oil pressure, oil temp e.t.c. and cruises 55-60 on a standard 1600 TP and advises everything is in the green so not sure what I should be looking for?

Also - what's a good guideline for shift revs indicator?

Some piccies (apologise for shake - mobile snaps :( )

f3da3bde.jpg

72e5a6a4.jpg

no expert but , in my head i think the optimum cooling is between 3300 and 3500rpm
We run at about 3500 on a motorway cruise fella and the shift light is set at 3800 if that helps.
HAVE CRUISED AT 4000 BUT I try to aviod it for more than a few minutes.

hope that helps, but i am sure there will be differing opinions, mine just based on what we have found

jth

The theory as I understand it with these engines is that they could be run flat out all day which was 4.5k(they fitted a rev limiting rotor arm that cut out at 4.5k on some vehicles). I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with taking into account noise, overtaking vehicles, engine condition, load etc.

Trikky2 may be able to provide some of his wisdom in this area ;)

Cruise at 3500 rpm (max) on a light throttle, means nudging 55mph, nice and chilled on a run :D
That's what I do anyway, like to give the old girl a steady time and she hasn't failed me yet. :D

Pete B said:
Cruise at 3500 rpm (max) on a light throttle, means nudging 55mph, nice and chilled on a run :D
That's what I do anyway, like to give the old girl a steady time and she hasn't failed me yet. :D

WOW i cant believe, i give a suggestion,l a somebody agrees with me :roll: , cheers pete.

Does this mean that i dont always talk bollox

john

Loxy said:
The theory as I understand it with these engines is that they could be run flat out all day which was 4.5k(they fitted a rev limiting rotor arm that cut out at 4.5k on some vehicles). I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with taking into account noise, overtaking vehicles, engine condition, load etc.

I think you have already said it all :lol:

Yes, stock they will run at 4500 all day - if they dont theres something wrong. The restrictive Carb and exhaust plus the geometric rise in HP required to turn the fan as revs rose meant the stock engine was essentially "governed" restricted / strangled hence resulting in it being "over engineered" or capable of running flat out all day - because flat out was nowhere near its real potential max power.

58 BHP is a very low output for a 1600 engine and factory tuned versions produced 90 BHP without increasing the capacity.

That said tootling along at 55 is more relaxing - as long as your not on a motorway - and will give you much better mpg and the chance to admire the scenery a bit more. :)

Trikky2 said:
Loxy said:

I think you have already said it all :lol:

Yes, stock they will run at 4500 all day - if they dont theres something wrong. The restrictive Carb and exhaust plus the geometric rise in HP required to turn the fan as revs rose meant the stock engine was essentially "governed" restricted / strangled hence resulting in it being "over engineered" or capable of running flat out all day - because flat out was nowhere near its real potential max power.

58 BHP is a very low output for a 1600 engine and factory tuned versions produced 90 BHP without increasing the capacity.

That said tootling along at 55 is more relaxing - as long as your not on a motorway - and will give you much better mpg and the chance to admire the scenery a bit more. :)

90 HP from a factory 1600??? Where can I get one of those???

They were in the factory prepared rally beetles - they even ran de-baffled stock silencers.

Theres some film here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac96nslFOg4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; though whoever did the sound - well - ill let you judge :lol:

reminds me of taking my snot green 1302s for drives in back country new zealand - gravel/dirt roads, earth tunnels and loads of sliding about!

how i wish it had had 125bhp and ran 46ida's EDIT - though that must have meant it wasnt a 1600?!

Latest posts