Fitting anti-bump steer kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubMan

Reaction score
I've got the anti-bump steer bushes from Buttys Bits (http://www.buttysbits.com/trackrod-flip-kits-bump-steer-kits1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but having visited 2 machine shops at lunch today, I'm a little surprised they're not as straightforward to fit as I first thought.

In practice, the spindle needs holding securely for the hole to be re-drilled but both machine shops said they'd have problems with this because of the awkward shape of the spindle. One shop even said the bushes were really badly made to be an interference fit (lots of ridges on the outer edge. Not smooth at all)

How have other people gone about getting anti-bump steer bushes fitted? In principle it's a 17mm hole to be drilled and the bush pressed in. It's sounding more complex than that now :(

Steve

You can get them in vice for a pillar drill with supports. I have also drilled them in a vice with a power drill before its a pig to do though and i welded around the top after.

Why dont you email Simon @ Butty's Bits Directly?

[email protected]

He is a very helpful and knowledgable fellow that I am sure will be able to point you in the right direction to get it sorted.

Sounds to me like the machine shops just didn't want to get involved.

I would always try resolving something with the place I got it from first before trying anything else, its their product they will know best!

There not a precision fit item , just needs a hole and push in , nice push fit is better but there not going to fall out as once bolted joint in them they cant fall out . Spindles can be tricky to hold .

Latest posts