Fitting chrome inserts around windows

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbmkk

Reaction score
My recently bought van had chrome inserts, which were all way passed their sell date, so I friend (also with a similar van) suggested I remove them and buy new ones.

I did this and the van is almost complete, but now I can't get the inserts on.

I bought a special tool from a famous VW parts supplier, but still find it impossible. He has tried too and also without luck. I can get the long straights in and the bend seems to cause the problems. Then once you have stopped, it's a devil to get going again.

Has anybody done this before and can you give any suitable tips.

Alternatively, any recommendations where I could get it done by 'an expert' .. I live near Newcastle upon Tyne.

I suppose I can live without them att he moment, but as I've already bought them, I suppose I rreally should get them actually on the van, rather than lying on the garage bench.

Many thanks

If you're talking about the deluxe trim in the window seals, I believe that you need to fit this first before fitting the window? Or did I misread you? :)

As Nick says, rubber on window, trim in rubber, whole lot into van. You'll Knacker the flimsy stainless steel trims otherwise.

Nick-Rackham said:
If you're talking about the deluxe trim in the window seals, I believe that you need to fit this first before fitting the window? Or did I misread you? :)

I refer to these 'chrome on plastic' mouldings, see link below

http://server5.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-b...62471534684&sprachdir=english&AnbieterID=4357

Just a matter of interest, how hard is it to remove a window and refit it ?

Is that a job a DIY'er can do, or would it be better to leaqve to 'an expert'

I suppose if I did and and broke the window, I would be buying a new one, but if a garage broke it, they would .. and I am pretty sure a new window would be more expensive than getting the job done in the first place.

SAdly I have to do 4 side windows and gthe front windscreen too.

Lo WB, I'm currently doing the same job but went for flat ally finish on the chrome trims and then sprayed them
satin black. Follow my thread if it helps :

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35563&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck man.

Raver :party0046:

wbmkk said:
Nick-Rackham said:

I refer to these 'chrome on plastic' mouldings, see link below

http://server5.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-b...62471534684&sprachdir=english&AnbieterID=4357

Just a matter of interest, how hard is it to remove a window and refit it ?

Is that a job a DIY'er can do, or would it be better to leaqve to 'an expert'

I suppose if I did and and broke the window, I would be buying a new one, but if a garage broke it, they would .. and I am pretty sure a new window would be more expensive than getting the job done in the first place.

SAdly I have to do 4 side windows and gthe front windscreen too.

My advice having done both (plastic in like you're doing when window already fitted) would be to abandon the crap plastic trim and get some pukka metal ones and fit as said earlier. Or carry on struggling like you are - been there done that - 2 hours a window and muchos swearing.

Latest posts