Fitting deluxe waistline trim

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all.
Thought I would share a tip to anyone who's going to be fitting deluxe waistline trim to a bus which has never had it fitted before.
Instead of drilling loads of holes and possibly using crap plastic trim clips, I stuck mine on with double sided tape.
It looks spot on and the tape also serves as a seal and stops the water collecting behind the trim..if you ever get your bus wet.
I used 25mm 3m vhb (very heavy bond) which is a perfect width and I warmed the tape before fitting, which helps it to adhere better.
You will need to make sure the edges of the trim are nice and straight for the tape to get a good bond and you get the trim level first time. When it goes on, it ain't coming off again!

Looks good, nice to know there is an alternative to drilling holes. One of my side marker lights is stuck on and it hasn't fallen off after seven years. :msn4: :lol:

The trim probably won't fall off as it's light as well. :)

The proper vhb double sided tape is amazing. I use it for loads.
I fitted one piece of trim in slightly the wrong place..I only touched the bus gently with the tape in a couple of places..didn't even push it home firmly..and I bent the trim trying to pull it off!
Once it's on, its on for good !

All sounds like a good idea, until a few years down the line when the van needs to be re-sprayed, or you need to remove a section of trim to deal with a localised rust issue. I guess you'd have to destroy the trim to remove it?

Rhodrich said:
All sounds like a good idea, until a few years down the line when the van needs to be re-sprayed, or you need to remove a section of trim to deal with a localised rust issue. I guess you'd have to destroy the trim to remove it?
It will come off using heavy gauge fishing line drawn along between the body & trim.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi Kinga,
you used the black (grey) version of the tape, right? Do you think, that the transparent tape would be a better looking alternative?
Thanks for your input,
Frank

Hi Frank - I used the grey tape, and it looks spot on, in my opinion. Think black would be fine as well.

transparent tape may look better when its new, but if any bits get stuck to the exposed top and bottom of the tape between the trim and the body, even though it's only 1mm thick, it may look a bit naff?

you're probably right. and the transparent "color" will also fade over time do to sun exposure - so I'd guess.
Thanks for your feedback,
Frank

I just hate it when people put up all these very clever and easy ideas, especially if it looks pretty good. So that’s another thing on my list of things to do. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, the longer I have this bus, the longer the list gets :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

We used this tape last week, works a treat, needs to be trimmed after it is stuck to the waist line trim
Quick tip: Warm the trim up a little with a heat gun before applying the tape (then trim) then warm the body before sticking to the bus
Remember: measure twice before you stick
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thin-3M-VHB-Tape-4914-For-LCD-Display-and-Bezel-bonding-White-0-25mm-Thick/253626517250?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552855580025&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Latest posts