Fitting Gene Berg shifter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjwstockdale

Reaction score
I am going to order a Gene Berg shifter rhd locking.

Does anyone know:

1. Do you fit them as a standard shifter - straight swap?

2. Should I replace the gear fixings/ bushes at the same time?

3. If yes, who sells good ones (I see that people don't rate the jk ones at all)

4. Should I put on a quick shift plate too?

5. If so, which quick shift plate should I buy?

6. Is there anything else I should know/ do

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1. Mine was a straight swop but it isn't locking so don't know if you would lock it first. I'm guessing not though

2. It wouldn't harm it and will tighten up the shifting although removing the shifter only gives access to the one anyhow.

3. I can't remember what I used, sorry, but didn't think there would be much difference

4. Nope

5. Nope

6. That's about it, fill the cup with grease and bolt it down. It might take a little fettling just to get through the gears but they're a great big of kit

I've fitted three locking shifters over the years and all were a straight swap.
The Berg should come with a new shift plate and no need for a quick shift version. I never changed any bushes as weren't needed.

My advise would be to take time fitting so the gears change smoothly and it locks in place without having to force in.

Enjoy.

Have a read on my thread - fitted a LHD locking one and took loads of pics
Was really straightforward and came with a full set of instructions - I ordered mine direct from Gene Berg in the states!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44243&start=40

StuF said:
Have a read on my thread - fitted a LHD locking one and took loads of pics
Was really straightforward and came with a full set of instructions - I ordered mine direct from Gene Berg in the states!

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44243&start=40

im going to use the post to create a 'how to' if thats ok?

i have one sitting for a few years, there was an english dude working at gene berg threw in a tee shirt as well with a group buy we did a few years back. i think we bought 10 shifters.

Nice!
Like the carefully edited language too from my post :msn4: - it was an emotional day! :D

I followed the Berg instructions and didnt have any issues - although to be totally honest, there is a bit of a knack which involves pulling back on the shifter when in reverse whilst in reverse and rotating the locking key at the same time. Sounds much more complicated written down than actually is.

Push button, put into reverse, locking key into shifter, pull back a little on shifter to overcome detent in lock, turn key whilst holding the shifter back, key locks shifter in place and release shifter and remove key!

Then the next time you try and drive the bus you will forget its locked and wonder why you cant get out of reverse!! I have done it loads of times

StuF said:
Then the next time you try and drive the bus you will forget its locked and wonder why you cant get out of reverse!! I have done it loads of times

So true :lol:

Has anyone's shifter started to rattle? I need to strip mine when I can be arsed as it rattles like flip at cruising speed........

StuF did you change any linkages or anything or just the shifter?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

DaveT2Ralph said:
StuF did you change any linkages or anything or just the shifter?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

All the bushes were done prior and I replaced the coupler at the gearbox end after fitting the berg shifter

Just fitted mine : straight forward swap and locks easily : I did replace the coupling and boot at the gearbox and the front rod which was looking a bit worn. Great bit of kit.

Is the best place to buy these direct from Gene Berg (especially if I am states side right now?)
And for an early '68, right hand drive - GB 6750R-LK looks to be the right version?
http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=17_480_2972&products_id=2867

Latest posts