Flat spot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstarmer

Reaction score
Hello there,
in need of some help!!! My bay has got a very bad flat spot through all gears, it happens when I change in to a gear and hit the accelerator making her jerk and falter, as I accelerate more it does disappear but then when I change to another gear it happens again. I was told I needed a new carb so I thought instead of forking out straight away I would have a tinker first so I have had the carburettor off and cleaned it as well as the air filter, I've also had a little play with the mixture and she runs lovely at tick over but as soon as she's driving it starts again.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Dan

Check to see that the accelerator pump squirts fuel into the carb when you work the throttle.

What dissy do you have and what is the ignition timing set to?

Hi I had the same sort of problem, I had 2 new carbs new leads plugs and even changed the fuel pump in desperation, as a last resort before doing another complete stripdown I checked the brand new electronic dizzy that I had fitted to save me any starting and running issues and that was the cause off all my problems, put back on a 009 with vac advance and the bus has been running and driving like a bloody train, so much for upgrading.

The vac advance dizzy's are the way to go. Your engine will run cooler as well as they always get the spark in the right place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you people.
I have a 009 mechanical dizzy at the moment and with that fitted I've done the timing to suit it and the engine I've also cleaned carb, set points, spark plug gap and mixture and I've still got the flat spot........Vac advance dizzy has now been ordered!! I'll keep ya posted
once again thanks for the advice

It certainly fixed mine.

I had exactly the same issue. I was running an 009 and had flat spots just off idle and after every gear change. Then as you have done, read up a little and found that the issue was with the 009 (no vac advance). Purchased an SVDA dizzy (with electronic ign) from another early bayer, fitted, timed, bingo...

no flat spot :D

Hope this solved your prob too, I'm sure it will.

Latest posts