Flat4 BRM's not fitting the rear (1970)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexer

Reaction score
I'm sure a few of you have seen the trouble i've been having fitting my rear wheels.

standard suspension apart from horse shoe plates which i think is not helping matters.

Iv seen loads of early bay's with brm's but i think they are all MWS ones, 5.5J with a slightly different offset to mine.

Mine are Flat4 BRM 5J with a 12mm offset.

Iv tried them with 185/65/15 and i fitted the off side one but it was squished up against the arch lip, tried the near side and couldnt even get the wheel near to the brake drum at the bottom....

Then i tried 165R15's, both wheels fitted BUT the near side was still touching the arch, the off side was very close.

I have thought about just trying some MWS or SSP wheels but i could go to all the trouble of buying the wheels, getting the tyres swapped over and them still not fitting.

Anyone have any suggestions please, if not there will be a brand new set of Flat4 BRM's for sale i reckon

Have your wheel arches been replaced? if so this could be the problem.
Looking at mws they are 5.5j et14 and flat4 do a 5j which is et5 or et10, On there site it has the 6.5j with et12. If the flat4's won't fit then the other may not either.
Shame as there are quite a few buses out there with BRM's so they should fit unless its your arches.

radish said:
Have your wheel arches been replaced? if so this could be the problem.
Looking at mws they are 5.5j et14 and flat4 do a 5j which is et5 or et10, On there site it has the 6.5j with et12. If the flat4's won't fit then the other may not either.
Shame as there are quite a few buses out there with BRM's so they should fit unless its your arches.

Arches are original, only the lower parts were repaired near to the sill and rear corners.

All I could find on offset were that the 5J were ET 12!

I googled and read it here, http://www.flat4.co.jp/english/dtail-dr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check inside your wheels it will be in there somewhere.

I just had a quick look at your build thread i only saw the pic of the bus with a wheel on and on stands, when the wheels are fitted have you lowered it back down? sorry if it sounds a bit patronising but the wheels should tuck back in when on the floor.

radish said:
I googled and read it here, http://www.flat4.co.jp/english/dtail-dr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check inside your wheels it will be in there somewhere.

Oh Sh*t, that will explain it then...... ET +5 :shock:

Getting a set of Transporterhaus adjustable spring plates, will see if a little camber lets me fit them. Reckon i will be selling the wheels though to be honest

Thanks for your input dude

radish said:
I just had a quick look at your build thread i only saw the pic of the bus with a wheel on and on stands, when the wheels are fitted have you lowered it back down? sorry if it sounds a bit patronising but the wheels should tuck back in when on the floor.

You are right, when i lowered it they got worse, its because when you fit horseshoe plates its only the hub that gets lowered, the A-arm stays in the same place eliminating negative camber.

Hi there I've got brms on and its down 1 spline on back and the only thing stoping the tyres rubbing the arches is the chamber!

Rhodes4130 said:
Hi there I've got brms on and its down 1 spline on back and the only thing stoping the tyres rubbing the arches is the chamber!

Thanks but what make are they?

I got SSP BRMs fitted with one spline drop and no problems.
Enough room to shove your finger between arch and tyre! :D

Good luck sorting it out mate

I had the same problem with horse shoe plates fitted, no way i could fit my BRM's :evil:
Now fitted adjustable springplates and no poblems :D

Rexer said:
Rhodes4130 said:

Thanks but what make are they?

Sorry dude not sure where there from as got them s/h but they do have an stupidly high offset! 185/65s on no way would 195s fit
Tony

stuif said:
I had the same problem with horse shoe plates fitted, no way i could fit my BRM's :evil:
Now fitted adjustable springplates and no poblems :D

Thanks mate, thats the post i was waiting for :D

Well, the adjustable spring plates were the answer, my bus is now sporting all 4 BRM's :D

032ea922.jpg

Latest posts