Fogstar Lithium battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacWarrior

Reaction score
I'm considering dipping into the piggy bank and buying the 105 AH one of these to slot straight into the leisure battery tray. It seems good value at under £400 ( relatively speaking).

I would be grateful for feedback from anyone who has had experience with this outfit.

Cheers

I'm considering dipping into the piggy bank and buying the 105 AH one of these to slot straight into the leisure battery tray. It seems good value at under £400 ( relatively speaking).

I would be grateful for feedback from anyone who has had experience with this outfit.

Cheers
Took the plunge, ordered the 105AH, next day delivery by courier, then a Li-ion charger, had to get the Victron 10A as the (bargain price) fog star brand were sold out
Download the fogstar app, easy to navigate, connects to battery by Bluetooth, dashboard showed charge at 20%, hooked up charger, hours later at 100%. Now installed in van, smaller and half weight of the previous lead acid battery, field test next week when I’m off to Devon for a few days sea kayaking.
The app is great as it shows all you need to know in terms of battery condition, usage or charge
71518353475__5931A4F5-260D-40DC-BB24-76B9B83CA189.jpegIMG_5304.jpg
IMG_5314.jpeg
A mate who does a lot of off grid travel on his kite surfing ventures in France and Spain has bought the 300AH fogstar hooked up to 300W solar panels. Although it’s slightly taller than a lead acid battery, the LI-ion battery can be laid on its side, so it fits in the same space
IMG_5315.jpeg

Cheers
Have just bought a 300Ah battery that fits in the leisure battery tray on its side. Just be careful sliding it in over the tray upstand, all a bit awkward but still possible, 105Ah won't be a problem. The bluetooth ap is great too. Think about buying the correct charger too. My problem is getting the solar panel to charge my battery. Can anyone recommend a solar panel installer in London I could use to have my system checked out?

Given the susceptibility of lithium-ion batteries to vigorous combustion, if they overheat, I would be extremely wary of retro-fitting one anywhere in a 1968~79 VW Type 2, especially in the relatively hot engine compartment, close to the petrol tank!

I have had a lithium battery as a leisure battery for a couple of years now
Stuck a temp sticker on the unit as the specs suggest that battery should be kept below 60 deg C. Max I have ever seen in the Vw engine bay was 45deg on battery case on a very hot day in France where ambient was around 35deg.
As for fire risk the good news is that the battery management system built into battery will disconnect if there is a short. I think my main concern would be puncturing the case through a poor physical mounting arrangement.
Of course everything has risk , but I wonder what we would all think of the idea of a metal tank containing highly flammable fluid stored next to an engine that uses spark based ignition and has exhaust temperatures measured in 100’s deg C

Am planning to move my leisure battery to a spot under the R&R bed. Main reason is I don’t really like the airflow blockage that two batteries in the engine bay cause.

From a storage perspective the lithium is like chalk and cheese compared to all the lead acids I have had over the years. Way more usable capacity and easy to monitor as it bluetooth’s to an app on my phone

As for longevity - time will tell as I’m only a couple of years in.

I have had a lithium battery as a leisure battery for a couple of years now
Stuck a temp sticker on the unit as the specs suggest that battery should be kept below 60 deg C. Max I have ever seen in the Vw engine bay was 45deg on battery case on a very hot day in France where ambient was around 35deg.
As for fire risk the good news is that the battery management system built into battery will disconnect if there is a short. I think my main concern would be puncturing the case through a poor physical mounting arrangement.
Of course everything has risk , but I wonder what we would all think of the idea of a metal tank containing highly flammable fluid stored next to an engine that uses spark based ignition and has exhaust temperatures measured in 100’s deg C

Am planning to move my leisure battery to a spot under the R&R bed. Main reason is I don’t really like the airflow blockage that two batteries in the engine bay cause.

From a storage perspective the lithium is like chalk and cheese compared to all the lead acids I have had over the years. Way more usable capacity and easy to monitor as it bluetooth’s to an app on my phone

As for longevity - time will tell as I’m only a couple of years in.
Hi Sidney.
I have just purchased a LIon battery and was wondering if you need a bluetooth controller connected to the system or does the app connect straight to the phone and battery? Any help gratefully appreciated.

J & P
:D:D:D

Both my lithium batteries came from Renogy and the Bluetooth was integrated as standard in the battery. Just had to download the Renogy app.

Also have a solar controller that has Bluetooth but that was an add on unit. Bit unnecessary as the battery Bluetooth give more than enough information

Not sure about Lion brand

I'll update the LB post soon but if you're buying a charger I'd say I recommend getting a 0-15v 500w 'adjustable charger' ( I tried copying the AliExpress link but for some reason it won't) which can be used to balance the cells. The one I got is sort of like a blue loaf of bread shape.

The batteries naturally balance over time but you can speed things up a bit connecting them in parallel and charge at 3.65v so they're all the same.

How?.
When you get the cells connect them in parallel, (connect all the ++++ and all the --- together). Then attach adjustable charger that is set to 3.6v and charge.

Once done disconnect and reconnect in series so your voltage now is 3.6x4 (14.4v) and all cells are the same. You can then, if you need to, charge at 14.4 v using same charger) and 35amps or whatever you can max it to.
That's balancing.

Can also use the same charger for lead acid but whatever you do keep the amps down low, maybe 3 or so, it's not like lithium that'll take anything you can throw at it.

You can do it (rebalance the battery) each winter when you put your battery indoors (they hate cold/freezing temperatures so keep it happy indoors) so it'll be in top shape come spring.

I just saw a post about temperature and susceptibility to explode. No. The BMS has temp control and the DC to DC charger also has temp control.
If the battery is defective then it might fail but that's the same for anything. Under normal circumstances they are safer, no liquid (unlike lead acid) and cold.

I've made mistakes with these batteries, I shorted 2 out by mistake which killed them and they swelled up but no 'explosions'

I understand the waryness of new technology but get hands on with it you'll realise it's really good and safe.

Last edited:
I have just bought a 300ah version for my motorhome. They are a very reputable company and getting quite a lot of traction in the sector. I did a load of research and what with the 10 year warranty, they were the best overall option for me. To get the best out of it you'll need to ensure you have the correct lithium profile on your B2B and mains charger. I have Victron units

I DO NOT possess any devices (including mobile telephones of any generation!) compatible with APPs or Blue Tooth, whatever they might be!?!

I like my classic vehicles (i.e. 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental & 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" | the only vehicles I possess) because they are based upon simple technology which don't require the use of a computer or mobile telephone of any kind.

I would hope that any leisure battery could be charged directly or indirectly by the vehicle-engine's alternator; requiring no external charging source.

I DO NOT possess any devices (including mobile telephones of any generation!) compatible with APPs or Blue Tooth, whatever they might be!?!

I like my classic vehicles (i.e. 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental & 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" | the only vehicles I possess) because they are based upon simple technology which don't require the use of a computer or mobile telephone of any kind.

I would hope that any leisure battery could be charged directly or indirectly by the vehicle-engine's alternator; requiring no external charging source.
They are.

New here and not sure if this post is in jest or what shouting is for.

But if it helps a lithium battery is no different to any other. It just charges from an alternator or solar controller although most solar controllers have a specific lithium mode that should be set

You can use it ‘fit and forget’ However one of the benefits of a lithium battery is that it monitors and reports its own state of charge , voltage and current draw. This information can be displayed on a phone

So I’m effect this is like having a multimeter connected to a battery and available all the time.

Although you may not like complexity you may find it useful to use a multimeter on your existing batteries in you old cars to check voltage or even current draw as it helps check battery health and diagnose problems

Hope that’s useful but if I have fallen for a spoof post. Apologies

You use a DC to DC charger, i.e not direct from the alternator but direct from your other battery through a DC to DC charger.

If you're off grid it's brilliant, charging times are much more efficient.

Let’s hope you never breakdown Naskeet and need to walk to a tellephone box to call the AA as they are no more (phone boxes)
Get ya tool box out n start ya own repair without a mobile 😂

New here and not sure if this post is in jest or what shouting is for.

But if it helps a lithium battery is no different to any other. It just charges from an alternator or solar controller although most solar controllers have a specific lithium mode that should be set

You can use it ‘fit and forget’ However one of the benefits of a lithium battery is that it monitors and reports its own state of charge , voltage and current draw. This information can be displayed on a phone

So I’m effect this is like having a multimeter connected to a battery and available all the time.

Although you may not like complexity you may find it useful to use a multimeter on your existing batteries in you old cars to check voltage or even current draw as it helps check battery health and diagnose problems

Hope that’s useful but if I have fallen for a spoof post. Apologies

No, it wasn't a spoof post. I was being completely serious. I have no immediate plans to acquire any form of mobile telephone, but if I eventually do, it would probably be a simple early-generation type with no superfluous bells & whistles.

Latest posts