France - third time lucky?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My misfire detailed above finally resulted in a breakdown today of which I'm quite happy about, I was rather hoping it would occur as I wasn't towing the trailer tent and only had my son on board. So managed Woolacoobe and back (well all bar 10miles) when had a major misfire, pulled off the M5 and round to a quiet industrial estate that I know and had a look around the engine bay, all seemed well but the motor wouldnt rev and sounded sick. It kept cutting out and struggled to start so my money was on the coil, as I didn't carry a spare it was recovery time. So out came the coil and it looks like its goosed as I'm not getting a resistance reading on either winding, so fingers crossed tomorrow ill get a new one and all will be well, I'm hoping I havnt cooked the electronic ignition tho. The coil is about 5yrs old but is a Atlanic make? So doesn't sound quality to me :roll:

Well if the coil is showing open circuit then its faulty so I hope this will solve it. Seems rather odd this was not diagnosed when you first had the problem since its a rather basic fault.

Its fairly rare for coil to fail but if ever you have this problem its worth remembering that any standard 12 volt coil will work fine, be it delco, fomoco or lucas etc. it doesent have to be bosche. All you have to make sure is that its 12 volt rather than a ballast resist coil, which are normally 9 volt or so.

I do carry a spare in my camper but it was bought back in the 1970's and is still in its original box :lol:

So a trip to GSF this morning and 2 minutes with a spanner and we are up and running 8) hopefully this one will last longer than the last :roll:

Latest posts