French Slammer dropped spindles and narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Grahamm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will get some pictures tonight and hopefully of how the adjusters were installed.

Take care,

J

Graham L said:
Hi J

The only 3.5" dropped spindles available are the flipped ballpoint ones which will work but it all depends where the adjusters have been fitted in your beam, ie how far round on the beam. If they have been fitted to give you the drop just on adjusters hence the hard ride then they may not work as they could end up giving you so much drop that it will be on the floor but it's hard to say without seeing pictures of how your bus sits and where the adjuster is set to at the moment.

Adjusters for use with dropped spindles are welded onto the beam to give you less drop and it's more about fine tuning rather than the full drop on the adjusters if that makes sense.

French Slammer don't do the 3.5" dropped spindles and they will not improve the ride with the beam you currently have as all they will do is drop it by the amount unless there's enough adjustment on the beam to take it back up close to stock height.

Hope that helps but pictures would make it easier to comment.

Hi Graham,

Below are a few pics :) I am going to sell the currently fitted 15" fuchs and go back to steelies, though I want to keep the same stance. I hope the pictures help :)

Graham L said:
Hi J

The only 3.5" dropped spindles available are the flipped ballpoint ones which will work but it all depends where the adjusters have been fitted in your beam, ie how far round on the beam. If they have been fitted to give you the drop just on adjusters hence the hard ride then they may not work as they could end up giving you so much drop that it will be on the floor but it's hard to say without seeing pictures of how your bus sits and where the adjuster is set to at the moment.

Adjusters for use with dropped spindles are welded onto the beam to give you less drop and it's more about fine tuning rather than the full drop on the adjusters if that makes sense.

French Slammer don't do the 3.5" dropped spindles and they will not improve the ride with the beam you currently have as all they will do is drop it by the amount unless there's enough adjustment on the beam to take it back up close to stock height.

Hope that helps but pictures would make it easier to comment.

Sorry for the delay in responding

The pictures show the adjusters in nearly their lowest position, so your beam could be raised back up and then dropped spindles fitted, raising the beam back up would improve the ride but its impossible to judge the ride height and quality etc without physically trying it.

I notice your bus is clearly a 68-70 but has it been converted to later narrow 5 or is it a porsche bolt pattern?, just need to bear that in mind when swapping back to steelies.

New order just gone in with VA for a new delivery of French Slammer bits, not too late to add to it if anyone wants any bits

We'll be at Slough Swapmeet with a beam, spindles, springplates, beetle gearbox conversion kit etc etc if anyone wants another look :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can get you a set for the end of the month, what year 71?

If anyone is looking for French Slammer bits then come and see us at Slough Swapmeet on Sunday, we are once again running an up to 10% special for orders taken at the show or up until close of play on Sunday 2 November.

Welded like the Wagons West ones, no one currently makes 2.5" forged drum drop spindles but it is something we are currently investigating, its whether theres enough demand to justify the tooling and a production run.

Not necessary but it helps to keep the supply chain going, we can supply a set of Drum dropped spindles for £499 outright or £450 exchange. your core spindles can be returned once you've fitted the dropped ones.

Could i get away with just fitting (drum) dropped spindles on a stock beam? (Running standard steel wheels)

gr00veg0d said:
Could i get away with just fitting (drum) dropped spindles on a stock beam? (Running standard steel wheels)

Yes, you will get a 2.5" drop so it depends how low you want to go?, but it's a straight bolt on .

Graham L said:
gr00veg0d said:

Yes, you will get a 2.5" drop so it depends how low you want to go?, but it's a straight bolt on .

So if I fit these dropped spindles with a stock width beam and lower profile tyres I should be able to avoid tyre rub? Sorry to be pedantic but I can't afford spindles and a new beam in one go!

Latest posts