French Slammer dropped spindles and narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARKING MARK

Reaction score
So who's got French Slammer narrowed beam and dropped ball joint spindles. What's your verdict ?
I'm thinking of going this route so your feedback would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Graham L fitted mine this week. I'm really pleased, the ride is great, and the stance is just what I'm after. I'm fairly sure it's as low as it will go without cutting into the frame for clearance.
It's had fitted a 4" narrowed beam and 2.5" dropped spindles. I've driven the bus down a variety of roads, lanes and speed bumps, and there has been no scuffing of tyres on the arches or beam hitting the road which I have had in the past with my previous set up.
Off to France on Monday fully loaded so this will be the telling test... Hoping the family won't make me raise it back up once we are back :D

If you are interested give Graham at Midland Early Bay a call, he's the man 8)

Hi Barking

Let me know what you are looking for, Andrews is the second bus we have done, the first one was Rogers which he collected yesterday and drove back to Blackpool. I'm slightly biased as I'm selling the product but I think the ride is really good having now driven four buses fitted wit the French Slammer set up.

Pictures of Rogers below, same spec as Andrews but running drum spindles up front. The ride height will go lower :)

Hi Graham
Thanks for the pics... That's the stance I'm looking for... I don't want to cut the chassis or the front wheel tubs.
My bus is a 71 with disc brakes but with a later calliper conversion that uses the original discs. I'm looking at a mildly narrowed beam with the dropped spindles and dropped rear spring plates.
If you could give me a price for supply and fit and a price for parts only,that would be great.
Thanks
Barking.

Barking you have a PM

Updated our French Slammer thread in the Traders Section with specs of buses we've done and pricing, any questions let me know http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59811&p=512488#p512488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look one bus in action about the suspension moving

https://vimeo.com/103942762#at=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Busfest Special Discount Offer now available, see advert here :D http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=61715&p=513217#p513217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vintage-autohaus said:
any news "mister" about our trip in France and FrenchSlammer Stuff?

regards

Hi VA

Yes very pleased with the French Slammer beam and spindles. The bus rode very well. I've posted some photos here of our trip to Britanny

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32126&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D

like the sound of these and comparing against t2d ones. my bus currently has an adjuster and a horrible ride. been advised to go for 3 1/2 " adjusters if french slammer do them ?

Hi

The French Slammer set up consists of 2.5" drop spindles to get the initial drop and then fine tuning it with adjusters on their beam to get the ride height correct, sounds like your adjusters are set in the old position when just adjusters were used and this means the ball joints run out of travel and the ride is really hard.

Let me know if you want further info.

Graham L said:
Hi

The French Slammer set up consists of 2.5" drop spindles to get the initial drop and then fine tuning it with adjusters on their beam to get the ride height correct, sounds like your adjusters are set in the old position when just adjusters were used and this means the ball joints run out of travel and the ride is really hard.

Hi Graham could you pm me some prices for 2.5 dropped spindles and a narrowed adjustable beam for my 68 early,its got csp disc kit on if that makes any difference to the type i need? diy prices.
Thanks nige

Hi Nige

Did you send me an email as well?, if so I've replied to that.

Hi Graham,

I have to be very honest I know very little about it as the work was done for me :( I prefer to do all myself now! One thing I can confirm is the ride is very hard! I would want to keep the original beam as I cant afford a full setup, but wondering if the 2.5" drop spindles will give me enough as I believe, correct me if wrong :) , others supply 3.5" drop spindles? As said I dont now much about the front end setup kind of things yet but hearing great things :)

Thanks

J

Graham L said:
Hi

Hi J

The only 3.5" dropped spindles available are the flipped ballpoint ones which will work but it all depends where the adjusters have been fitted in your beam, ie how far round on the beam. If they have been fitted to give you the drop just on adjusters hence the hard ride then they may not work as they could end up giving you so much drop that it will be on the floor but it's hard to say without seeing pictures of how your bus sits and where the adjuster is set to at the moment.

Adjusters for use with dropped spindles are welded onto the beam to give you less drop and it's more about fine tuning rather than the full drop on the adjusters if that makes sense.

French Slammer don't do the 3.5" dropped spindles and they will not improve the ride with the beam you currently have as all they will do is drop it by the amount unless there's enough adjustment on the beam to take it back up close to stock height.

Hope that helps but pictures would make it easier to comment.

Latest posts