From beam from a 1976 bay - will it fit into a 68?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Watts

Reaction score
Have a spare beam out of a 76 bay.

I want to send it to get narrowed but want to make sure it will work?

Are these the same other than bolt pattern and disc brakes?

yes they are. by bolt pattern im not sure if you meant wheel PCD or chassis mountings....so apologies if this is what you meant.....

the early beams have the mounting bolts to the chassis in a different location however this is no problem if your getting it narrowed as you will replace the end plates anyway...just make sure they fit ones for the early bay spacing.

I did mean different bolt pattern for the wheels to bolt up.

I did not know the chassis mounts were different ?

I understand thanks I will make sure on the end plates and get it done then

Thanks again

Heres a pic of a creative beam and you can see that its got 2 pairs of lower chassis bolts. early bay buses (and splits) use the upper 2 pairs of bolts whereas the late bays use the top 2 and bottom 2

P5170022.jpg

No wont fit, bolt pattern to the chassis rail is different changed at about the cross over model so 71 to 72.

No wont fit, bolt pattern to the chassis rail is different changed at about the cross over model so 71 to 72.

The earlier bolt pattern on the beam corresponded with the wide 5 hub pcd so 67-69ish.

Uber cool - you are correct in what you say if Brian is considering a direct replacement but the beam will fit if Brain changes the end plates during the narrowing process for ones drilled to the earlier bolt pattern as all the other aspects of the beam are the same.

Brian...I dont have a picture but if you want to see the differences you could make a card template of the holes on the spare late beam you have and then compare with your vans beam.

Latest posts