Front badge question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g3gsb

Reaction score
Looking at the front of my bus I've noticed a small gap around the from badge and it does ant sit flush against the front panel. This is due to a pressed circle in the front panel. Can anyone tell me why there is a pressed circle in the front panel? Was there originally a tyre on the front or do I need a smaller badge? The badge that was on my bus when I bought it is large. Hope this makes sense. Please see the attached photos.

It's a 1971 westfalia US import

cc188186128253b26a534c88ae3dba72.jpg

89f23693b751ea2605c92ebd51aa6149.jpg

c0fb78ea987899f0b037e66b0647dd7b.jpg

e6ac378ad9abe2dd0321326f3cb4811b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a late bay front panel that hasnt had the small badge "bulge" removed

I thought late bay front had indicators either side of the grille? My indicators are low. Here is a photo of the whole front.
8aafd584859b891f664f57f165f75cf4.jpg

Yep - it is fairly common to fit a late bay front panel as earlies are much harder to find.
All you need to do is weld up and fill the high indicators and panel beat out the small bulge for the front badge.
Then cut the holes for the low indicators - just think they skipped the panel beating bit and fitted it with the bulge still in place.
Looks good though and I doubt anyone would ever notice

Wow they have done a good job. Just googled it and your right there seems to be lots of converted front panels about. Bit gutted it's not the original tho [emoji22]

I have a late bay front panel on mine, but without the bulge ... anyway after the van was painted I got a new stainless steel 10" badge but I didn't want it pushed hard against the new paintwork, so spaced it off with some small rubber washers.
You can hardly tell, plus it allows rain water to pass behind the badge, not original i know, but my mind is taken off it by the fact that the holes were drilled about 3/4" too low by the guy doing the refurb ... don't get me started lol

g3gsb said:
Wow they have done a good job. Just googled it and your right there seems to be lots of converted front panels about. Bit gutted it's not the original tho [emoji22]

Easy to spot now that you look at it, but your badge is mounted much lower than it would have been on an original panel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've gotta be honest it don't bother me at all, Just something I noticed and thought I would ask the question. Still totally in love with my early bay :) just taken delivery of some goodies from JK so looking forward to fitting them soon.

thanks all for your replies.

Thanks both appreciate the compliments [emoji16][emoji106]

Latest posts