Front cab door seal kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted c&c via the website to ask about the chrome strip,they said it was a dull finish but for £20 a pair they would add the shiny chrome ones instead.

I bought this kit from C&C and am delighted with it:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/details.aspx?id=9405&Sub_Category=1364&group=61&category=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't fit it (the painter did) but he had no complaints about fitting it and it looks original.

C&C have top quality service too - they're really quick to dispatch orders.

Ok so I rang C&C yesterday and ordered the slightly more expensive kit £212 - The external metal surround are flat
ally finish as I didn't want to pay another £20 for the chrome ones. Ordered yesterday at about midday and they turned
up today at 12pm - Top service from C&C. So pretty good looking kit with quality seals, felt runner and rubbers.

22092011331.jpg

The trim surrounds look pretty good and the flat finish is ok, may spray it satin black though !

22092011329.jpg

22092011330.jpg

OK, so got the old seals off and polished up the external edges ready to re-install the rubbers. Start on the window
seals tomorrow. Hoping for a calm day so I can finish spraying the door bottoms.

22092011332.jpg

Chow until tomorrow :mrgreen:

Top work!

Thanks for the info about the chrome surrounds, i noticed they were all a dull finish when i was lookin at Vanfest. Looks like Ill go for the C&C kit too

Cheers

Just

creationblue said:
Top work!

Thanks for the info about the chrome surrounds, i noticed they were all a dull finish when i was lookin at Vanfest. Looks like Ill go for the C&C kit too

Cheers

Just

No probs Just, I can't decide at the moment whether to leave them as is, spray them satin black or colour code them to the body. Think I need to offer them up to the window and review it then.

As an aside, I just read your sticky on dulux clock repair - I would gag on a donkey to get hold of one of these - Do you know of any for sale at the mo either working or not so I can fix it up and install it in my Kombi?

Cheers
Raver :party0046:

raveboy said:
I would gag on a donkey to get hold of one of these

Cheers

:lol: nice one.....

I don't know of any at the mo, sometimes they come up on eBay for a reasonable price just keep an eye out....

Just

PS keep the surounds chrome ;)

So the weather was top banana today so I started on the drivers door scrapers. Followed Saraj's guide as much as possible
as shown below (I thought I would add my own account and pictures).

Started off with the side runner nearest the lock. Mine was quite stiff to wiggle out of the top clip but it did pull down and
out following a little side wiggle.

24092011333.jpg

Then undid the window carrier and dropped the glass to the bottom of the door - You have to do this as it's the only way to
get it low enough to extract the scrapers.

24092011334.jpg

Next I started pulling down the felt channel that runs around the top and down the back edge. On mine the original retention clips
were still there so i was careful to prise them down and keep them. They just slot into holes within the door frame passing though
the chrome/aluminium trim on the outside.

24092011335.jpg

24092011336.jpg

24092011337.jpg

You can see above the slot hole that the clips go into.

Ok, 1/4 light slider bar next. I did as Saraj said and undid the top screw that retains the whole top of the 1/4 light frame followed by the M10 screw at
the bottom through the larger bodywork hole.

24092011338.jpg

24092011339.jpg

Then attempted that apparent tilt and slide method for the slider bar - Bastard was pretty rigid in there and would not move. Forgot to mention I slid the
glass sitting in the bottom of the door, as far as it would go toward the lock end (rear) so that it would not foul the slider bar. In the end I undid the other screw at the top of the vertical slider bar (Normally hidden by the felt). This loosens it from the main 1/4 light frame.

24092011340.jpg

This post is startin to get big so I'll pop onto a new one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Right, Now the vertical slider bar will pull rearwards from the top.

24092011342.jpg

But I still could not get the bugger out, so decided to get the inner scraper off first. This just pry's out with a flat head screwdriver.

24092011341.jpg

Following this I thought it time to pry out the 1/4 light glass and seals - This just tilted backward and came out.

24092011344.jpg

The seals came next and I discovered why the whole 1/4 light frame would not come out in one piece -

24092011345.jpg

24092011346.jpg

24092011347.jpg

It was pretty apparent that the 1/4 light frame was shagged so I wasn't too careful extracting it. Ordered a replacement from C&C (They seem to be
the only ones who stock them). Now tried to get the vertical slider out - Nottttttt. It would not come out the top no matter which angle I tried - This was due
to it fouling on the external scraper which was still there.

24092011348.jpg

So I slid the glass as far to the rear again as it would go and slid it out the bottom.

24092011350.jpg

THen very very carefully pryed the outer scraper off from it's spring clips - I had to do most of it from underneath by sliding the glass to the right and
using a very long screw driver. This is because the chrome lip stops you getting the screw driver in down throught the top. Most of the retaining spring clips
broke and the trim got pretty shagged up and bent whilst taking it out so you'll almost deffo need a new one.

24092011349.jpg

Then I just finished off for today by cleaning up around the now empty apertures, ready for re-installation when the new 1/4 light frame arrives.

24092011351.jpg

Think I'll spend tomorrow spraying up the outer scrapper aluminium trim.

More to follow ;) :party0046:

Raver

Lo peeps :D

So as the quarter lite frame still has not turned up, I decided to do some other bits. Sprayed up the vertical side bar and glass lifter -

29092011355.jpg

Then went on to fit the cab door seals round the edge. These ones from C&C were excellent and fitted in very very well. I had to adjust them slightly
around the door stay as they were too long. A swift razor blade cut to remove about 2 inches and then i evostuck them back in. Looks pretty good.
Doors need quite a shove to close but at least they won't rattle and I know they will be sealed.

29092011356.jpg

29092011357.jpg

29092011362.jpg

I was so please I thought i would put the freshly upholstered passenger seat back in. I'm pretty chuffed with it - Our guy did an amazing job especially on the logo.

29092011359.jpg

29092011361.jpg

29092011360.jpg

Hopefully get the window seals back in tomorrow and the drivers seat.

L8er

ZedBed said:
Looking good - I like the logo.

Thanks Zed man. Did a bit more today in the glorious Indian summer. The quarter light frame arrieved so I thought I would
start assembling the window back in. First off I put the newly cleaned and sprayed glass and lifter back in.

30092011365.jpg

Then I thought I would try and put the new rubber quarter light seal into the new frame - This is a bastard job of the year as it's
a tauight fit like a tiger !!. Needed a lot of patience, talc and a putty knife to push it in with.

30092011363.jpg

Eventually managed it though with a bit of excess that will need trimming to fit snug in with the vertical slider bar.

30092011364.jpg

30092011366.jpg

After much deliberation I decided to spray the matt ally trims satin black to match in with the new rubbers. To be honest the matt trim marked easily
and i reckon it would look a bit shit after a few months of the elements and heavy handedness. Gonna hopefully fit the rest of the window tomorrow morning so pictures to follow. In the mean time I fitted the drivers seat with the new uphostry - Our guy did an amazing job ! Got the door cards back as well.

Rave it up bro's :party0046:

30092011367.jpg

30092011368.jpg

30092011369.jpg

You know that tiger fighting you just did? You should have had the glass in the seal first. It might be a bit difficult to get it in now. :oops:

ZedBed said:
You should have had the glass in the seal first. It might be a bit difficult to get it in now

Ahh :sad0049: Bugger !

Oh well I'll know for the offside window.

GOt bored windows Saturday so went camping instead.

Had a week off from Arthur stuff so got back onto the window today. Zed was right, fitting the quarter light glass after frame ans seal installation was a pig -
Here we go :
Fitted the quarter light vertical seal in the interim riser - Went in quite easily with talc and a putty knife. (I do moisturise that thumb by the way :tongue0013: )

07102011375.jpg

Then fed it up through the bottom of the door ensuring that the new outer scraper was pulled outwards to ensure it didn't foul the vertical bar as I pushed it up. I also bent the door bodywork (On the inner skin) back a little (So you can't see it as it's below the inner scrapper) so that the bar would slid up nicely.

07102011376.jpg

07102011377.jpg

Slanted the vertical bar back out of the way and then fitted the new quarter light frame (With pre-installed seal - Sorry zedman :( ) - Forgot to take a picture of this sorry. Then got the glass back in and very slowly but surely started pushing and feeding it into the seals using a combination of putty knife, thin blade screwdriver and a bit of smoothed 1/16th plywood.

07102011378.jpg

GOt it in eventually - Needs a lot of patience :shock: . Was quite pleased with it in the end (Good seals from C&C)

07102011379.jpg

07102011380.jpg

07102011381.jpg

Put the top screw in that fixes the vertical riser to the new quarter light frame and it slowly pulls the bar seal onto the glass making a nice tight fit.

Next I tackled the inner scrapper that is held in with a pre-installed sprung wire. This is a real awkward bastard to fit and I made the mistake of fitting the first wire clip from the middle - DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!! :lame:
Start from the outer end (i.e. nearest the lock). It's then just a matter of using some snipe nosed pliers to pull and twist each wire spring clip into the hole in the door frame.

07102011382.jpg

Again I got it in eventually (Man, the passenger door will be done in half and hour at this rate !! ;) )

07102011383.jpg

Mmm need to flip the page !

Ok, felt seal time (Not a mammal from Scotland !! :mrgreen: )

Almost there - Lifted the glass back into it's lifter bracket and loosely did it up.

07102011384.jpg

I then added the shorter of the 2 felt runners (From the C&C kit) to the interim vertical runner. This needed trimming (With a junior hacksaw)
so that it finished flush with the bottom of the vertical runner bar. - Sorry I did not take a picture, I was too excited that it was going well !!
This pushed in very neatly and was just slightly proud of the vertical bar (As per the originals I removed ).
Then put the end vertical runner bar back in by the lock, ensuring that the clip was in and sound at the top (Can be checked visually at this stage). Put the
small bolt and washer back in at the bottom and knicked it up tight. I found that it was best to have the window raised most of the way during this process.
I then lowered it again to fit the remaining felt seal (Non-mammal).

08102011385.jpg

You can slide the remaining outer felt channel down into the lower vertical runner without it snagging - You need to keep offering it up to the side and top of the door so make sure that you don't slide too much down and run out of seal.

08102011386.jpg

Then just pop it in squarely into the recess in the door frame and ensure the pre-installed metal clips are holding the seal soundly (Might need a little poke with the putty knife).

Bingo bango - She's in

08102011387.jpg

08102011388.jpg

Quite pleased with the quality and fit for an 'after-market' application !

08102011389.jpg

So all in all the seals went in pretty good and I was overall pleased with C&C door kit - Would recommend it.

Was on a roll so thought I would carry on with the door cards. Add a good dollop of double sided tape followed by the
relevant aperture drip membranes.

08102011390.jpg

Then fitted the main membrane and added the door card rubber bungs

08102011391.jpg

Gained a helper at this point

08102011394.jpg

Then spent a hour and a half trying to align the metal door card ferrules - Offer up, take off and re-align, offer up, take off and re-align.
This does take bloody ages but a bit if patience and a good gob can be done.

08102011395.jpg

Then it's just a case of loosely putting the door card on and hitting each card ferrule with a rubber mallet to make sure it's home sound into the door.
Put a bit of plastic or material in between the card and the hammer to protect the vinyl.

08102011396.jpg

Looks frickin great if I say so myself - Well chuffed !! :D :D :D :bliss:

Came upon a slight problem though - I think the hardboard and vinyl combination must have been slightly thicker than the original so I'm having a problem getting the winder and door lock trim to fit - I'll work on it tomorrow I think.

08102011397.jpg

08102011398.jpg

Chowser :party0046: :poke:

No probs blue :D ,

There may be other ways of doing it but in conjunction with Sarej's original sticky post this seemed the easiest. Think I'll put the quarterlight glass in first on the offside like Zed suggested.

Latest posts