Front cab door seal kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The usual way to fit the 1/4lights, whether opening or fixed, is to build them up off the van and fit them whole from the top, after first fitting the outer scraper (but not the trim clip near the 1/4light or it gets in the way).

Then the inner scraper starting at the rear, which is nigh on impossible to get tucked behind the 1/4light upright!

You need to push the wind up glass to the outside to get the 1/4light in. It's very tight, but start it further back and you'll be able to get the lower fixing bracket through' then slide it forwards and tilt into position. If you just painted the door you'll need 3 hands and independent eyeballs to avoid scatching the paint.

Good tip up there ^ to pre-bend the furry strip round the glass prior to fitting. :)

ZedBed said:
The usual way to fit the 1/4lights, whether opening or fixed, is to build them up off the van and fit them whole from the top, after first fitting the outer scraper (but not the trim clip near the 1/4light or it gets in the way).

Then the inner scraper starting at the rear, which is nigh on impossible to get tucked behind the 1/4light upright!

You need to push the wind up glass to the outside to get the 1/4light in. It's very tight, but start it further back and you'll be able to get the lower fixing bracket through' then slide it forwards and tilt into position. If you just painted the door you'll need 3 hands and independent eyeballs to avoid scatching the paint.

Good tip up there ^ to pre-bend the furry strip round the glass prior to fitting. :)

Nice one Zed - Offside should be a doddle ! :D :D :D

Building up the funds to do mine,is there much difference with the main door seal between OE and German quality,seems a lot of difference money wise,looking at the pics the german ones look ever so grey all the other seals and orig door seals on my van look black ?.Do either need to be cut to fit.I don't want to fork out nearly £90 for a pair of seals and have to start cutting them about.Heritage seal kit is cheaper but I have to have chrome outer.Advice appreciated.

Hey Max, Yes the C&C ones are quite grey but I think it's because they are a different softer rubber than all the other (Apart from status). It is much more supple and seals better. I did have to cut and re-stick mine near the door hinges as they were too long but this is easy with Evo-stick and you don't really notice the joint if done neatly. I went for cheaper engine bay and sliding door seals (The black ones) but to be frank they are crap and I'm seriously thinking about ripping them out and replacing them with the more expensive grey ones.

Cheers
Raver :party0009: :party0053:

Nice write up and bloody nice colour....velvet green is the best (totally bias opinion)

:mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
You shouldn't need to cut the cab door seals. :?:
I paid the extra and went for the vewib cab door sets from Status.
What are the status kits like,do they fit perfectly and what colour is the door seal.The rivet for the opening 1/4 looks black,mine are chrome.They are more expensive and charge carriage but there website says they only sell the best seals available,but for the kit and rivets and panel clips I need comes in at around £270,thats a lot of dough.I do want the best ones 'cos the van is nice and shiny,do they have sales or discounts near xmas ?

Do any of you guys have a pic of the new large felt.I got the C&C kit fits a treat except for the large outer felt it is too big for the clips.I wont fit no matter what I tried.I have emailed and await there response but would like a look ant another German quality one.The one supplied is all rubber up the sides is thar right?Looking at status pic it has some fabric on the side.

Max Power said:
Do any of you guys have a pic of the new large felt.I got the C&C kit fits a treat except for the large outer felt it is too big for the clips.I wont fit no matter what I tried.I have emailed and await there response but would like a look ant another German quality one.The one supplied is all rubber up the sides is thar right?Looking at status pic it has some fabric on the side.
Are you using new clips? I feel the old ones were a bit sleeker. I just fitted 2 C & C ones without trouble using old clips.

Max Power said:
sparkywig said:
You shouldn't need to cut the cab door seals. :?:
I paid the extra and went for the vewib cab door sets from Status.
What are the status kits like,do they fit perfectly and what colour is the door seal.
I used Status for all my seals,windows were perfect & Just fitted the status/viewb door seals and they are a dream to fit.absolutely perfect fit and go in so easy.just the minimal glue needed as you would expect in corner under hinge and along the front edge to follow the contour of the door shape.colour,yeah not jet black but not too grey for me either,somewhere in between.nice supple rubber.100% recommend the veiwb seals,from which ever supplier.

Max Power said:

Hey Max P, I just re-used my existing original (I think) clips when I took them out and they fitted the C&C large furr strip a treat. I put the clips in first into the door frame and then pushed the seal straight in with a bit of coaxing of a putty knife.

Cheers
Raver :party0046:

Well I heard back from c and c and they said the new type of seals around the window have to be fitted without the clips but they could get me another type that might fit better?Without the clips they sag a bit and are a rubbish fit not too impressed for the amount of money I have spent considering I went for the German Quality kit.I will update the outcome.

Wished they'd told me that before I wrecked one. Ended up leaving the original felt in place which is a bit of a waste of the kit really, but at least they fitted.

Well the replacement window felts turned up and to my absolute dissapointment they were brazilian genuine VW and therefore rubbish fit and look cack :( .I checked on C&C website and it clearly states German quality?I phoned them and the only ones they do is the first ones I had to be fitted without the clips or genuine (crap)VW :roll: .So I will have to try the Status ones. I rang them and they said the ones they have are made by the same supplier as the originals,so 6 weeks after my order from C&C still not complete and I have had to pay to return 2 lots of wrong parts and now have to go else where.Lesson learned methinks.

At last started doing the passenger window today - Man it's much easier the 2nd time around. Windows
and all ancillary's came out in half an hour. All ready to mask up and spray a bit of touch up paint round
the seal area and found I'd run out of masking tape !!!! :( Oh well maybe I'll finish tomorrow !!

:party0046:

Just got back onto re-installing the window and associated frames after spraying the door window surround - Had to refer back to last years post as I'd completely forgotten how to re-install it. Think I might try Zeds way of assembling the Qtr light outside of the door and then fitting it in through the top. OKey doke, hear it goes :mrgreen:

Raver :party0046:

Latest posts