Front Lower Ball Joint separation bugger!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htotheunit

Reaction score
The bugger won't split!

The haynes manual says that i need to remove the hub assembley, but i'm not sure how. I've done bearings before, but i don't know how to remove the guard behind the disk.

Any hints and tips on this one, I'm using a fork type splitter, and it just wont go!

undo the ball joint nuts - u may want to mark the top eccentric? nut before as this is partly how your front is aligned for camber?

any hoo once you're happy u can reassemble.....undo ball joint nuts - get brake parts out of the way.

then with reasonable size hammer [re lump] strike the arm end nr to where the ball joint goes through- don't hit the balljoint just the trailing arm [try to hit opposite arm, ie as square on the end as possible]- the principle is to distort the tapered hole for the metal/metal connection to disconnect and viola the bj will pop....I always leave the nut partially on so it doesn't just drop!!

there's a bit more to it - this is the simplified - but following haynes will help anyway

I never use a splitter as it always damages the boots [ well imho of course......!]

I might do a vid............

Not wishing to start a new thread I am having problems getting the lower ball joint undone.

My beam is now off the van and stripped so that I just have the lower arm and balljoint attached to a bare spindle.

I have access to a fork type splitter and am intending to replace the balljoints anway but are there any other methods for lower balljoint removal?

Top ones always come out ok, just a light hit of a hammer on the spindle is all that tends to be required.

Help :(

mattp said:
Not wishing to start a new thread I am having problems getting the lower ball joint undone.

My beam is now off the van and stripped so that I just have the lower arm and balljoint attached to a bare spindle.

I have access to a fork type splitter and am intending to replace the balljoints anway but are there any other methods for lower balljoint removal?

Top ones always come out ok, just a light hit of a hammer on the spindle is all that tends to be required.

Help :(

I keep meaning to do a video howto on these suckers - if the beam is off the van you need some weight on the balljoint

it still is the same procedure really - undo the nut but not all the way - and hit the trailing arm towards it's mass, it's easy to explain if it was in the van then you would strike opposite to the arm in the direction of the beam [it's tricky to describe which is why I was going to do a video]

let me go find a picture and mark that!! sheesh , thought I'd help but know have made it complicated!!

D

back in a mo

hit green area -scribbled in paint in the direction of the arrow - as I'm sure you're aware you are trying to deform the tapered hole enough for it to release the shaft of the balljoint - so it may need some striking to do this - I always use a lump hammer

thanks to jeremy hotrock for original pic

2hekjk7.jpg

Our method in the council workshop is: knock the hell out of it ;) then get shouted at by the foreman for sodding up the tread :(

:lol:

Latest posts