Front seats need attention

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
The seats in the van are in need of some love;
Do I cover them myself?
If so who makes the best basket weave black covers..
How easy is it...
Do i pay a professional upholsterer to do it?
If so who and how much?

They need to look like they did in 1970 when it left the factory (and last as long!!)

It depends how much you want to spend whether you get a professional to cover them or you do it yourself. I was quoted £80 a seat just for putting the new covers on. I supplied the horse hair mats and new covers, and I thought I would have a go myself.

I used TMI covers and like you wanted the seats to look like they did originally.
My seat frames and springs were in good condition although more recently I have replaced a couple of springs on the driver's seat.

It's not that difficult putting the covers on although you do need to take your time so as not to tear the seams near the hinged part of the seat (where the back and seat pad meet).

I also found using gardening or bailing wire useful although some have done it without using wire. If you have a look at my thread you can see what I did. :)

I too did my own. As i remember there is a sticky over on Just Kampers Forum which shows you how to do it. I followed it and i think my seats look brilliant and are comfy. I am all fingers and thumbs and found it very easy. Just take your time.

I did my own by following a sticky on the just kampers website. Easy to do, they look good and are comfy. As stated take your time and enjoy doing it, i am all fingers and thumbs and the only tool i can really use with any skill is a hammer. Have a go see what happens

70-CA-Panel said:
Hey Mike,

Where did you get your horsehair pad from?
Did you have a six week wait for your covers or where did you get yours from?

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

I got them via VW Heritage and yes it was a 6 six week wait. I can't find the receipt right now for the hair seat pads but probably from there as well although JK also do them.

They are actually coconut fibre btw not real horsehair, same but like a veggie alternative!

Latest posts