Front wheel alignment / correct tracking settings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiler

Reaction score
Took our '71 bay to get the wheel alignment fixed because the front tyres are wearing on the outside edges. The garage had a laser alignment system but didn't know what the toe in settings should be so they set it to parallel.

I saw something in a Hayne's manual but that was talking about mm and minutes and different settings if loading the front wheel!!?

Please could anyone tell me the correct setting for the tracking - in terms the modern laser system can use.

Alternatively, how do i get a mechanic to set the tracking without using a laser system.

Thanks.

Try this link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php
for owners manuals. Select your model year & look at the chassis section
'68 page 50, '71 page 58 this will show toe and camber.
I hope this helps.

smiler said:
...The garage had a laser alignment system but didn't know what the toe in settings should be so they set it to parallel...

That sounds a bit worrying to me - I didn't think vehicles were ever set to parallel! I always thought that having your wheels 'toe-in' was what made your vehicle want to stay in a straight line???

;)

Smiler

J&M is correct your should run a bit of toe-in on the front and a get the camber check also from my rallying day's (wife sold the cars) this was always neg chamber.

Latest posts