Fuel filler neck

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of refreshing our petrol tank and associated parts, and I need to get a replacement for the rubber hose that connects the filler neck to the tank. The ones listed on the standard sites say "short" and the measurements are too short. Mine measures 180mm long, with the same 55mm internal diameter.

I've seen a few silicone hoses on ebay that might do the job, just wondering if anyone has used one of these? Some are straight while some come with a 45 degree bend, so it sounds like they might not be particularly flexible.

I've seen longer rubber ones on a couple of vw sites but they are priced around £50+ and these silicone hoses come in at half the price or less.

Appreciate any advice or tips, especially from those who have tried this kind of alternative hose.

Cheers,

Rich

if you use silicone hose it has to be the treated type that is suitable to unleaded fuel or the fuel will gradually destroy the pipe...this tends to be alot more money!!!
Places like Demon Tweeks, etc sell 57mm fuel filler pipe...
I got some of the super flexible stuff from Europa Car Spares that's supposed to be for fuel filler, but it started to baloon on the inside so went back and I got the thicker stuff from Demon Tweeks (needed it in a hurry on a Saturday so jumped in the car!)
Seems to have done the trick :D

Rally Design prices look good, thanks BJ1. Have you used them?

Bundy, cheers for the info. So you're now using the typical 3-ply silicone hose? Is it flexible enough to use a straight piece or did you get one with a bend in it?

I replaced the same hose on my truck, I called Sfs silicone hose company and they put me onto another company that custom made the pipe to my dimensions, it was only £14 delivered.
Call sfs t: +44 (0)1582 509250 and explain what you need they should point you in the right direction, they did for me.

Thought i might revise this thread for soem answers.

Lats night i finally took my bus home which meant filling up at a garage rather than with petrol cans.

Took the fuel filler off, and the neck for teh tank is about 2-3 inches round. When trying to fill up the petrol gun just kept clicking (guess theres no back pressure or whatever it is) so it took me about 5 minutes to get £20 in it and gave up at that.

Is the pipe mention above the answer to my problems and if so how does it fit to the actual metal filler neck

cheers

Isn't it the back pressure that cuts off the flow of fuel? With dubs I find that it helps not to put the nozzle all the way in.

I think you only need to replace the mentioned filler neck pipe if you have problems with it (perished or otherwise no good).

All it is is a simple tube (petrol resistant).

Hope that helps!

Rich

Nugsy,

I have my tank out so I shoved my non Ex rated torch into the filler neck.
It is a metal tube about 300-350mm long. About 210mm in, there is a metal gauze/wire mesh right across the tube.
I guess this is to:-
a) stop large bits of crud getting into the tank,
b) even larger bits of crud syphoning off your motion lotion,
c) an attempt to stop an explosion (gauze is supposed to stop a flame - but this looks too coarse).

I'm guessing if you have one of these the back pressure it may be causing may cause the pump nozzle to trip off. Holding the petrol nozzle back out a bit may overcome this.

It could have a SPIDERS NEST IN THERE !!!! :!:

Phil.

Latest posts