Fuel gauge issues - Help !!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedubt2

Reaction score
Hi all,

The fuel gauge stopped working, so I have fitted a new fuel sender unit, checked for continuity in the wiring,and good earths, but the gauge dosnt move.
The needle goes to full if I earth out the feed at the sender end.
I have 12v going into the fuel gauge, but only 5.5v coming out (to feed the sender), is this right ???

Thanks in advance
Regards
Daren

It sounds like the sender is at fault. Is the sender accesible? If it is then take it out and check it with a multi meter set to measure low resistance values. With the meter connected to the terminal and earth of the sender operate the float arm and you sould see the resistance vary. If it doesent the the sender is faulty.

Yes , I have removed the pin, cheers Dave.

Just to add, I have checked both the old and new senders, they both have good readings, so I didnt need to buy a new sender, but the new one's in now, so it's staying there :x .

Anyone else out there with advise on this, really am stuck and dont really want to get another gauge untill Im 100% sure.

Regards
Daren

I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be the connection where it joins the loom, looked clean, but replaced it and it's been working ok ever since. HTH

Is there any chance any of you guys with a working gauge could do me a massive favour ;) ?

All I need to know is, have you got 12v coming out of the fuel gauge (brown wire to feed the sender)

I have searched the web, and spoke to various 'aircooled' garage's and getting nowhere :cry:

Regards
Daren

Ive got 2.9-3volts on the brown wire at the sender.
I would presume this will go up and down with how much fuel you have :| ,I dont know its just a guess :?

Thanks again Dave :)

So now Im really screwed :? , it appears my gauge is good, as is the wiring and sender :( .

Daren

Latest posts