Fuel gauge woes! Please help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baybus70

Reaction score
Since i finished the resto on my '71 EB i've been having problems with the fuel gauge.

The gauge actually makes a gesture to move when the ignition is turned on,then after a second goes back to empty so i know there is power going to it.It doesn't actually move up it's more of a flick of the needle (needle moves about 4-5 mm) and then dead again. This happens every time the ignition comes on. It is, by the way, stuck on empty.

The van was turned on it's side with the tank in situ during the resto, the gauge worked fine before. Is it possible that the float could have stuck to the side of the tank or the top of it? What is the easiest way to gain access to the tank to solve this problem?

I have put around £30 (6-7 gallons in the tank so i thought this would have solved it, but i doubt this has filled it with fuel right to the top of the tank! I'm just frustrated now!

Thanks in advance, Steve.

short the gauge to the chassis at the sender connection if the gauge registers then its your wiring/sender, if it doesnt then the gauge is bollocksed...

chances are when it was tipped 40 years of crud and dissolved varnish has clogged the sender or you've dissed the connector at the tank or engine bay...

now sorted!Thanks! Took the sender out(tube type) and gave it a shake up and down. Think it got stuck when the van went on its side.I also now have an easy inspection flap on the rear shelf! 8)

Latest posts