fuel lines

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
Fitted Fireboy extinguisher today.

Next job is fitting the new fuel lines, in all honesty I'm caking myself, never done it before.
Any hints or tips on fitment?

No need to worry quite an easy job first thing worth getting some of these very handy :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pc-Fluid-Line-Clamp-Set-Fuel-Coolant-Hose-Brake-Clamps-10-15-25-45mm-Tool-New-/121097853630?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c31fe9abe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use proper fuel hose clips NOT jubilee clips, use good quality r9 hose and change it regularly :mrgreen:

I've bought the bundle kit from vwaircooledworks which is the full ethinol proof stuff, the kit comes with small type jubilee clips, is that right?

Ands1 said:
I've bought the bundle kit from vwaircooledworks which is the full ethinol proof stuff, the kit comes with small type jubilee clips, is that right?

These are fuel hose clips that should be used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCS-Zinc-Plated-Mild-Steel-Mini-Clip-Fuel-Hose-Petrol-Packs-of-1-2-and-10-/131186317263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e8b5057cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are jubilee clips which can 'nip' the hose bad shouldn't be used :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-JUBILEE-Clip-4X-85-100mm-Hose-Fuel-Clamp-Worm-Drive-Petrol-Pipe-Line-/201087860689?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item2ed1c53fd1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty sure they'll be supplying the correct fuel clips, I'll get a picture tomorrow,
Is there anywhere safe for the filter to go?
Will I need to drain the tank? I want to change all flexible lines from tank to carb.

Ands1 said:
Pretty sure they'll be supplying the correct fuel clips, I'll get a picture tomorrow,
Is there anywhere safe for the filter to go?
Will I need to drain the tank? I want to change all flexible lines from tank to carb.

Above the gearbox near the tank outlet is the common safe place to put it, but. If you have fuel problems and a suspected blocked filter and your bus is lowered its a pita to change on the roadside, I found this out my self last week :roll: so I invested in a filter king this week and fitted it in the engine bay :mrgreen:

No need to drain the tank, but all depends on how fast you are :msn4: worth doing it when the tanks down to say under a 1/4 full just in case :lol:

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you start. Personally, I'd drain the tank for peace of mind. Doesn't take long and it'll avoid that panic you get when you can't get the new hose on the tank outlet pipe and your clothes are getting soaked with fuel and you hope nothing sparks because you'll go up like piper alpha.

Job done, all new fuel lines fitted. Only problem was whilst I was working in the engine bay I kept banging me thod against the gas boy extinguisher. :shock:

Ands1 said:

Ands1, were the clips you had supplied by vwaircooledworks the same as advised by 68_early_bay ?

No the clips supplied by vwaircooledworks are like small but good quality stainless jubilee clips. The screw needs to be tightened with a very small electronics type finger screw driver so in my opinion the clips can't be over tightened.

Ands1 said:
No the clips supplied by vwaircooledworks are like small but good quality stainless jubilee clips. The screw needs to be tightened with a very small electronics type finger screw driver so in my opinion the clips can't be over tightened.

Sorry to go on at you, but jubilee clips are no good at all, no matter how good they look. If they are jubilee clips, then re do them with proper fuel pipe clips. Fuel pipe clips look similar but don`t have the worm drive, I`m hoping that`s what you have :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, There is a reason ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Years ago I saw a link to where a guy had fitted a brass lamp fitting into the front tin with a steel fuel pipe running through it completely filled with silicon sealant so you never had to worry about the little o ring again, anyone else seen this or got the link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts