fuel problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
hi guys, got a 69 westy, stock 1600. its developed a starting problem. it was running really well, but just recently, if it doesnt fire up after 5 seconds, then its not going to. ive taken the carb apart, cleaned up, put back on and it fired up.
but then it happened again, just had it all apart and not worked this time. ive checked the pump, it seems ok, as far as i can tell.
any suggestions please??? thanks guys.

I have a similar problem however mine starts but boggs down under power unless i keep the revs high. 1600 single carb, i believe it could be either of two things, a blocked jet or the fuel pump is faulty as i have been through a process of elimination, checking that my distributer is in good order 009, points gap 0.4 with no mouldings/deposits, condenser and coil ok, timing checked and was over by 26 so adjusted accordingly.Fuel filter checked, i recently checked that the fuel pump was working and it seemed ok! so i took it for a test drive and almost instantly i noticed it was pulling better at low rpm, (this was all from removing the fuel pipe from the carburettor to check that the fuel pump was working and fitting it back on) until about a mile down the road where it gradually came back. I have done all the above but i am a bit apprehensive in removing the carb as one I'm worried hahaha iv stripped carbs on lambretta's but nothing with auto choke, fuel cut off's etc and two i have no replacement gaskets or sealant.

The best thing i would advise is to have spares of the following, plugs, points, condenser, coil, distributor cap and arm, fuel filter and some feeler gauges to set your points up to the required gap. Having said this you could have an air leak, there is so many different things it could be you'll have to go through to eliminate them one by one. This was my first post! hope i helped :) And good luck!

skywarp said:
checking that my distributer is in good order 009,

Skywarp - the 009 could well be your problem... I'd be trying a stock one to see if it makes a difference ;) - especially if you've a twinport engine :)

stus said:
hi guys, got a 69 westy, stock 1600. its developed a starting problem. it was running really well, but just recently, if it doesnt fire up after 5 seconds, then its not going to. ive taken the carb apart, cleaned up, put back on and it fired up.
but then it happened again, just had it all apart and not worked this time. ive checked the pump, it seems ok, as far as i can tell.
any suggestions please??? thanks guys.

Are we talking with the engine hot, cold, or both?

Sounds like it could be flooding the engine. What starting procedure are you using? :)

He there, if you're convinced it's fuel, check your pump first. Take the pipe off the carb and insert it into a clean and dry one or two litre clear water bottle lead on its side. With the pipe in the bottle about an inch or so, crank the engine over for a bit and the petrol should be shooting out the pipe in pulses that should hit the bottom of the bottle or there a bouts. If it is ,, then the issue is after the pump and you can progress onto the carb. If it's weak then the issue may be your pump or it may be a blockage from the tank or the supply pipe. If you can isolate the issue bit by bit, you got a man ch better chance of success ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, That's if it's fuel mate :mrgreen:

could also be worth checking your electrical connections to your starter, my van starts much better now that i have renewed the wiring.

Latest posts