Fuel Pump Leaking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkypumpkin

Reaction score
Hope someone can help, my fuel pump seems to be leaking out of what looks like a breather hole on the bottom. Do I just need a new pump or might it be something else?
DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

Thanks,

Richard.

Fuel shouldn't be coming out of that hole! if there is the pump diaphragm has perished allowing fuel through to the other side. Unfortunately the other side of the pump runs down to the crank case so there's a chance you have some petrol in with your oil.

Replacing the pump is easy all the usual suspects stock them. If it were me I would take the opportunity to change the oil as well.

Nice to see your fuel lines are in good condition!

Arran.

Thanks for the advice I'll take it out & see if I can get a rebuild kit, I'll change the oil while I'm at it as well.

Hi Don't know if this helps but your fuel pump doesn't look like the original pump i had in my bus, in case you're trying to get a kit for it. Mine looked like the one in the Haynes manual. I'm only pointing this out in case you may end up with the wrong kit. The cost of a new pump is around £20 and you will need advice on whether you need to buy a new rod for it. I replaced mine (i changed to an alternator) as a result i had to buy a shorter rod as well, about £4 from memory.

Good luck

Al

Thanks Al,

It doesn't look like the ones I have seen at the usual places, I'll need to find out which one fits.

Richard.

I think the only place that still does rebuild kit is wolsburgwest in the US, they seemed to become obsolete here about 3 years ago.

BJ1 said:
The repro Brazilian/Chinese new pumps are complete rubbish - put together by 8 year old slave labour using parts from recycled sandals and old toys................................

Exactly why I suggested rebuilding if possible ;)

BJ1 said:
The repro Brazilian/Chinese new pumps are complete rubbish - put together by 8 year old slave labour using parts from recycled sandals and old toys..........

explain please. given it seems when converting to an alternator everyone tells you you have to buy a cranked head pump, what are the alternatives??

having said that, my old pump fitted anyway it seemed, but fitted new bocar one as i had bought it, if you see what i mean...are some alternator kits different from others and do need this type of new pump, or is it just a ruse?? Am confused.

matt-me said:
BJ1 said:
The repro Brazilian/Chinese new pumps are complete rubbish - put together by 8 year old slave labour using parts from recycled sandals and old toys..........

explain please. given it seems when converting to an alternator everyone tells you you have to buy a cranked head pump, what are the alternatives??

having said that, my old pump fitted anyway it seemed, but fitted new bocar one as i had bought it, if you see what i mean...are some alternator kits different from others and do need this type of new pump, or is it just a ruse?? Am confused.

I mean that these repro pumps are hit or miss. Some work fine for years, but they all too often break after a couple of months. Most people I know who use them carry a spare just in case ;)

And don't get me going on Bocar stuff :evil:

matt-me said:
BJ1 said:

I've run several cars with original style rebuildable pumps and alternators together... I think it is only some of them that may have fitment problems :)

Latest posts