fuel sender repair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bus72

Reaction score
hi all i have friend who's fuel sender is kaput, is there any way to repair them, i have contact through the thin wires but where the wire solders to the copper looking piece there appears to be no connection to the main metal body of the sender
is there a fix?

Chap, I remember reading on here about a repair/ rebuild so worth a search. I bought one off flea-bay for £30 odd quid.....

i have managed with a little soldering to get the sender to work at 2ohms full and 80 empty but when i conect to fuel gauge it just goes to full with sender in any position full or empty.

You might have a fault in the wiring or the gauge.
My sender wire was chafed where it went through the firewall and I had to remake it.
There should be ignition live to the "+" of the gauge in the dash, and the "-" of the gauge runs to the tab on the sender. There's also a brown wire running from sender body flange to the bus body that completes the ground circuit.
If the sender wire gets connected (eg shorted) to ground, the gauge reads full.
You can test the gauge, the sender and the wiring between by disconnecting them and testing for contiuity, shorts to ground etc.
Or gauge operation tested by taking the sender wire off the sender tab: gauge should read empty; touch the sender wire on ground: gauge should read full.

HTH

Latest posts