Fuel vapour

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggysam

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on earlybay so please be gentle,
I own a 1971 bay and have a strong fuel smell in the cabin when it has about 3/4 tank,ive recently had engine out,renewed filler neck pipe, and all fuel lines to the engine, also renewed the rubber pipe from the vent at top of tank to near the filler neck,
Is this normal? or have i missed something?

Thanks in advance
Sam

first what clips did you use, proper fuel clips are prefferable to jubs, the other thing is any leaks in the engine bay i.e. carb, fuel pump, manifold will /can lead into the carb as theres a huge fan sucking air through the heater system....

Just replaced what was there before, ie jubilee clips, there are no heat exchengers fitted as have a bugpack exhaust on it, but do have a set of twin carbs, and after checking plugs belive it may be running rich, so that may be the source from that?
Sam

buggysam said:
Just replaced what was there before, ie jubilee clips, there are no heat exchengers fitted as have a bugpack exhaust on it, but do have a set of twin carbs, and after checking plugs belive it may be running rich, so that may be the source from that?
Sam

If your running rich theres a good chance you will smell it in exhaust fumes. When was the last time you had your carbs serviced?

I havent,only got van before xmas and have only got round to sorting a few small jobs, this is one of those jobs,
Sam

By serviced, do you mean a tune up or strip down and rebuild?????

If your van has the fuel tank breatjers that go up into the vents (not sure if 71s do or not) then there is a rubber pipe connecting two metal breather hoses that is hidden up behind the spare wheel well in the engine bay - have a feel around behind it & see if its still there or damaged.

Meant a strip down.

I see your running J-tubes, how well is the heater pipe blocked, or is the Y missing completely??

Loxy said:
If your van has the fuel tank breatjers that go up into the vents (not sure if 71s do or not) then there is a rubber pipe connecting two metal breather hoses that is hidden up behind the spare wheel well in the engine bay - have a feel around behind it & see if its still there or damaged.
What if your van hasn't got these tubes? From the look of mine i have a solid pipe running from the tank filler area and venting underneath to atmosphere.
The wife has started complaining about the smell so want to try and sort parts out before removing engine.

the vented tanks vent at three positions, left, right, and at the top of the filler neck, when you replaced the pipe connecting the right vent to the filler neck vent it should have a tee in the middle which then goes up high before open to atmosphere. Going down doesnt sound right at all.

Latest posts