Full Flow Help Pls..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlydog

Reaction score
I'm a wee bit lost in adaptors and fittings for my external oil filter.. I've gone for the fram oil filter and right mounted plate from heritage, I intend to mount it in the usual place under the 'leisure battery' side of the engine bay.
Any chance anyone can offer any advice on what fitments you used please?
Thank you :)

I used aero quip hose and fittings, excellent but not cheap. Mounted the filter under my battery tray, hose from the engine to filter and back again. Simples as they say.

I remember the sizes of all the bits bamboozling me because all the fitting seem to be measured in different sizes

Pete

depending on how you did it or where? LP recommends thinkauto and using straight m16? iirc swept connectors.

You may have gone 1/8npt ? there isn't any need but it's ok - just be careful when you tighten so not to split the case....

http://thinkauto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know what you've got but I used 9/16" drill bit, a 3/8" NPT tap, so fittings are 3/8" also
All the hoses where too short for my liking.

You have tails(unions) for your engine?already.the filter housing should say what thread fits(most likly 1/8 npt)its the dia of the barb you need to know to match the ones on the engine.also watch out for the hose quality get some with a good name to it and some good hose clips.are you running an external oil cooler?cant remember what you posted.

Right here's my engine as is.. The straight fitting that's in the picture will be replaced with one of the two 90 degree fittings below..
8CEEF474-44FC-4E4C-84CE-A7659193B14B-7713-00000611FF927F26.jpg

2168CB40-75E1-4FDB-9899-921E9CB69196-11690-00000AF390F9ED71.jpg

The oil filter mount I've bought from heritage says it accepts 3/8'' thread - 1/2'' hose barbs.

74BB8B5A-1703-4F32-86E8-8D6888187CE6-11762-00000AFC83DAF368.jpg

So does that mean I need two 3/8 thread -1/2 barb (hose) for the filter end.

Then a straight 3/8 male thread to 1/2 barb (hose) from the 90 degree fitting for the case full flow bit (below distributor) & maybe a 3/8 male at 45 degrees - 1/2 (hose) running off the 90 degree fitting on the oil pump cover so the hose angles up towards the oil filter?

Are you confused yet???

My only real concern here is maybe the oil pump cover set up not clearing the support bar..

Now I've said that I've a feeling I need a 3/8 - AN08 fitting in between? Jesus this is arse! :lol:

nearly confused :shock: but reread it and yes you are correct 8) you dont need the an fitting(where was that going?)you may want to fit one 90 to fillter ,may help with the pipe run .

67panel said:
nearly confused :shock: but reread it and yes you are correct 8) you dont need the an fitting(where was that going?)you may want to fit one 90 to fillter ,may help with the pipe run .

So I need a list Dave! 3 of these...

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/NA/BARB3812/3-8_NPT_To_1-2_Barb_Straight_Barb_Hose_Fittings_-OB-Full_Flow-C-_Oil_Pump-C-_Etc-CB-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two for the filter one for the case..

Two of the 90 degree brass fittings as pictures above. One for case, one for oil pump cover (poss one required for the filter for hose clearance)

My question is what comes after the 90 degree brass fitting off the oil pump?

RUBBER HOSE :lol: I take it you mean union wise,lets start again,from oil pump 45deg (does this have the tail for hose?)rubber hose to filter 90deg with stright tail ,from filter straight tail then hose to engine 90 with straight tail.so thats 2x 90,1x45 and 3(or4)strights and a roll of ptfe tape to seal threads.xft of top quality oil hose and 4 x decent hose clips .

67panel said:
RUBBER HOSE :lol: I take it you mean union wise,lets start again,from oil pump 45deg (does this have the tail for hose?)rubber hose to filter 90deg with stright tail ,from filter straight tail then hose to engine 90 with straight tail.so thats 2x 90,1x45 and 3(or4)strights and a roll of ptfe tape to seal threads.xft of top quality oil hose and 4 x decent hose clips .

I think I can decipher your message Dave thank you. I think I got lost in the socketless hose fittings etc.. That was my plan but having been let down by a supplier and realising how much all the adapters and fitting etch cost I've opted for the standard option. Socketless looks great but at over £70 notes for just the fittings and hose it seems a little OTT! Thank you.

Latest posts