Fuse Blowing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Hello AGAIN! this problem is sorted now, but by fluke rather than knowledge so here goes.

A fuse keeps blowing it is the one that runs the fuel gages and indercators and im sure a few other things, so I had a look at all the wires and poked around for ages trying to find an obvious broken wire touching something or anything that could seem to cause it but nothing, I gave all the contacts a clean, in fact it doesn't really look to bad back there but I am sure it is all original wires.

Can anyone think of a reason why it might blow a fuse now and again?

:D

Im sure its a break in the wires somewhere, that touches the metal or something when moving in transport or something. Change the complete wire and then go from there. 8)

Also check the back of the sppedo cluster theres two fibre spacers where the connections are held, if they are damaged or water is getting in there and they soak then the thing will short out thro the dash...

Had a similar problem with the fuse that did my side lights etc, sometimes when I put on the lights the fuse blew, Iwent through the whole thing of cleaning and checking, I took off the head lights and cleaned all the terminals put it back together and it was ok, drove down the road, put on the lights and it blew again. This went on and on, it would be ok for a while then all of a sudden it would blow, the last straw was when it blew on the MOT bay and I failed because of it. I decided to buy a cheap circuit tester and go through the whole van armed with a wiring diagram and a gallon of coffee. After much searching it turned out that the previous owner who had fitted eyelids prior to my purchase had wired the side lights the wrong way round, the live side was earthed and the earth side live, now as this is connected to the headlamp bowl it made the whole thing live, the mounting screw being old and dirty only earthed out when I hit a bump, up to then the lights would work perfectly, now this may not have any connection to your problem (though it is worth checking the indicator wiring) but a light up circuit tester and a bit of patience, some electrical tape and a six pack of cold ones and you will find the prob, good luck.

OK Araon I wil have a look at that and im gonna go get myself on of those test things :D I got a diagram I don't drink but got a packet of PG on the go :D

Latest posts