Futbus front disc conversion feedback

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currylager

Reaction score
Hello folks, a bit of feedback and pics of the Futbus conversion fitted to my 68 bus today. Make your own mind up and compare with CSP conversion ;)

Futbus001.jpg

Ok fitted new top and bottom ball joints to front spindles and painted spindle and torsion arms. I didnt know if the ball joints were worn but he gaiters were split so replaced them as a matter of course ;)

Futbus002.jpg

Heres what i got in the kit, caliper mount, bearings, pads, callipers, and hub assembly plus attached vented disc.

Futbus003.jpg

Calliper mount bolted to spindle. I sheared off one of the bolts due to rust in the spindle threads, so had to drill bolt out and retap and also tapped out the three other threads in hindsight :evil: . Applied threadlock to mounting bolts too ;).
Some minor filing was also required on the nearside bracket to match spindle bolt holes - just a bit!

Futbus004.jpg

packed the bearings with grease and placed them in Futbus hub assembly, NOTE no seals were supplied in the kit, so i carefully removed the existing ones from the brake drum which were in serviceable condition and they fitted nicely in the new hub ;)

Futbus005.jpg

Hub mounted onto spindle.

Futbus007.jpg

Calliper mounted via 2x allen bolts

Futbus007.jpg

Braided brake pipe connected (this was supplied in kit), system blead nicely using about 400mm of fluid for both sides.

First impressions are good, but i have not been braking sharply due to allowing pads to bed in ;)

Hope this is of some help to other Earlybayers considering this conversion :shock:

They look good. Did you go for the 14" wheel version?

How long did they take to fit?

Hi my bus runs 15's so went for that option (bigger discs) but they do a 14' option too. In total the upgrade took about 4 hrs including drillling out the dodgy bolt including bleeding. Fairly straightforward ;)

I think they are about 750 plus vat and postage so probably 850-900 inclusive.

I paid a bit more because i had my hubs machined as a one off to reduce the offset of my wheels to address an issue with my wheels clipping the arches on full lock when hitting a bump.

This kit is also vented discs and i remember suffering from brake fade in my previous 74 bay coming down welsh mountain roads, so hopefully this will help things.

So basically i got bespoke hubs and vented discs for the same or less cost as CSP 8) .

My 14'' CSP kit (non vented) was £810 at the Cool Air sale day late last year. They are usually about £900. They did go straight on with no messing though :)
You also have to upgrade the master cylinder too to a disc brake type so thats another £70 ish :(

The current price is £795 and I'm sure that includes VAT, postage is extra though.

This is for a vented kit that uses all VAG components so I think its good value, I'll be fitting a set to the new 'shop bus' when it arrives :mrgreen:

Appologies for not sending the seals, as I should have sent them, i`ll forward you on a set. Sorry to hear that you snapped a bolt, but managed to retap the thread.

Good to see a write up with pictures, and hope you enjoy them.

Dave
http://www.futbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

currylager said:
I think they are about 750 plus vat and postage so probably 850-900 inclusive.

Current price has been held at £795 inclusive of vat @17.5% plus delivery.

futbus said:
Appologies for not sending the seals, as I should have sent them, i`ll forward you on a set. Sorry to hear that you snapped a bolt, but managed to retap the thread.

Good to see a write up with pictures, and hope you enjoy them.

Dave
http://www.futbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll certainly be enjoying not pulling the steering wheel off every time i go down a steep hill :mrgreen: . Dont worry about the hub seals, the existing ones will work fine ;) . I am currently running the drum brake master cylinder with this set up with no noticeable problems, do i need to consider fitting a disc brake MC for this conversion by the way, hopefully not because i hate bleeding brakes :roll:

The change of MC is due to the Drum Brake MC holding the pressure but I have heard plenty of people not having a problem. I bought a 71> non servo MC from GSF for about £35. Touch wood, it has been great and the CSP's run do a really good job. (I do like the look of the Futbus system but it would be great to see it packaged like the CSP's with all seals, stud lock and instructions. Great to see a British company doing well.

^ WHS Mr the bus, awesum chap, nice out fit he runs and IF i had the cash would give it to him any day over csp. But its a hella lot of wonga. for either route.

Had the futbus kit for a while, just completed the fitment last weekend (even though it was boltic in the garage). :shock:
Haven't used them in anger yet, but first impressions are very good, just letting them bed-in first.

Yeh it's a lot of money, but hey if thats what safety and piece of mind cost, then it gets my vote every time.
Another good point, over CSP is that you don't need to fit a MC....

Cheers FutBus

Its really good and a lot better than the stock disc set up on my 71, the panel stops when you ask it to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts