Garden Find RHD C/O Devon - Lots of Pictures

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have got a black armrest off a 73 in good nick you can have if they are the same.

Hi all

It's been a while since I've been about. I managed to acquire a Late Bay Devon from 1973 and it had a few items that I needed for Ronald.

I managed to get 5 table legs and also the clips for the table that I have been looking for.

I have scrubed up both tables (they are differeent sizes) and cleaned all plastic fixings.

I made a template and then used the fixings from the late bay table onto the early bay table so now have a table that can be used both inside and outside. In total another 7 hours have been spent on the Camper.

Trying the Fixings for the side panel -

SDC13578.jpg

Broken Fixings -

SDC13579.jpg

SDC13580.jpg

SDC13581.jpg

Donor Table from Late Bay Devon -

SDC13582.jpg

SDC13583.jpg

Making the inside / outside table -

SDC13623.jpg

SDC13624.jpg

SDC13625.jpg

SDC13626.jpg

SDC13627.jpg

SDC13631.jpg

SDC13632.jpg

SDC13633.jpg

SDC13634.jpg

SDC13636.jpg

SDC13637.jpg

SDC13638.jpg

And then I checked the post and today received the Birth Certificate –

SDC13628.jpg

SDC13629.jpg

SDC13630.jpg

J.

Thanks for all the offers for armrests.

I now have an arm rest, but would appreciate if any one has the two fixings bolts with screw head to secure the armrest into teh side panel trim.

Thanks.

J.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but your birth certificate looks wrong - surely the date your van left the factory should be January 1972 if it was built in December 1971?

;)

Hi all

Another 8 hours have been spent on the Camper over the last couple of days.

The Devon Donor that supplied some parts before going off to a new home to be restored.

SDC13645.jpg

Removing the curtains and washing them.

SDC13647.jpg

SDC13648.jpg

Original graffiti -

SDC13649.jpg

Drying off -

SDC13697.jpg

I have also removed the interior lights. I found that the wiring was terrible and could easily have caused a problem with bare wires simply twisted around + and -.

Scary -

SDC13674.jpg

SDC13676.jpg

SDC13678.jpg

SDC13682.jpg

And lastly, the rear seats / bed has been scrubbed with jif, flash, washing up liquid, clean water then finally wiped dry and put in a room with the heater on full so that they are fully dried out.

SDC13689.jpg

Still wet so the white is not bright (fingers crossed they will look great). I will then spray the cushions and treat the leatherette to some Show n Shine.

SDC13698.jpg

J.

Hi all

I haven’t done much work on the Camper since the spring.

However, I did get a new birth certificate from Germany along with some freebies and a kind letter saying how sorry VW was (so thanks for pointing it out).

When I first got the camper I had to fill in forms and apply for the log book in my name. I also traced the history so that is pretty much complete now.

I spent another 6 hours yesterday and did some more cleaning of the roof lining, cleaned all the curtain rails and sprayed with maintenance spray and hung the curtains. I also cleaned the sun visors and checked the new Labcraft lights positioning (these are the same manufacturer as originally installed and look great).

Progress is as follows –

SDC18151.jpg

SDC18152.jpg

SDC18153.jpg

SDC18154.jpg

SDC18155.jpg

SDC18156.jpg

SDC18157.jpg

SDC18158.jpg

SDC18159.jpg

SDC18160.jpg

SDC18161.jpg

SDC18162.jpg

SDC18163.jpg

SDC18164.jpg

SDC18165.jpg

SDC18166.jpg

SDC18167.jpg

SDC18168.jpg

SDC18169.jpg

Next job is removing the rear cupboard and cleaning the roof lining and trims, and also fixing the back of the cupboard.

It smells normal now and is clean and fresh.

J.

Hi all

I had a few days spare in the early summer and have put around 30 hours and around £500 so far into the sunroof.

All I need for the sunroof now is a couple of screws to be made (i'm allocating £50 for this), then I can have it covered (if anyone wants to restore an old Britax let me know and I’ll talk you through it). Even though the opening is small, the cover is another £300, so it's working out to be very expensive in sorting out the sunroof.

I have also moved Ronald and have him out of the wind so that I can spend some more time this winter. I have been all over the panels today with the Autoglym and have put some more wax on.

I am hoping to get all the rubbers replaced in the next few weeks (who is best for window, door seals, tailgate seal, sliding door seals etc), the engine is coming out next Tuesday so that it can have a clean-up and service. I will also get inside the engine bay and scrub it up and get it shiny.

I’m really hoping to get it running between May / July 2012 and think the best way forward for now is to jack up the back a notch, and have some chunky tyres put on.

Once it is all running and water tight I can then drop it down and have the Fuchs and a big engine.

I’m still on the hunt for some parts and hope to be back on here some more and will upload pictures and what’s been going on.

Fingers crossed that an MOT will be given next year.

J.

Nice to get an update. I'm doing my window rubbers and I'm using custom & commercial and they have been vewib rubbers. Seem to be a good price but the best bit is the delivery being next day which can't be said for another vewib supplier....

Just

Great thread and an epic clean...!!! 8)

What did you use to clean the fabric side of the cushions?? :)

Great thread dude
What did you use to clean the head lining as mine is mega stained

Cheers

Gwar72 said:

Hi

Rear Seat Covers = Flash for the white, and then 3m Finesse and Autoglym Interior Cleaner, and a scrubbing brush and lots of effort for the fabric. I also used lots of water and soap between stages.

Hope this helps.

J.

Mark6455 said:
Great thread dude
What did you use to clean the head lining as mine is mega stained

Cheers

Hi

The headling is looking even better now (i'll get some more pictures up soon). I started with Autoglym Interior Cleaner, and also used a very soapy sponge after. On very stained areas, 3m Finesse, and then the Interior Cleaner again.

To finish, and to get all the film off (it ended up clean but like when you use a dirty leather on paintwork), Autoglym Window Cleaner (NOT POLISH).

Hope this helps.

J.

creationblue said:
Nice to get an update. I'm doing my window rubbers and I'm using custom & commercial and they have been vewib rubbers. Seem to be a good price but the best bit is the delivery being next day which can't be said for another vewib supplier....

Just

Thanks for the info.

J.

Another 6 hours today spent removing the bumpers and cleaning the front and rear panels.

I also started to remove the orange rust stains (3M Scotch Pad) and then T- Cut after. I will then Mop it again with Compound and then get some more polish on and wax. It is starting to come together again.

Some pictures of todays progress.

Behind the front light it also had some more graffiti - 06 and below C.

SDC11794.jpg

SDC11795.jpg

SDC11796.jpg

SDC11797.jpg

SDC11798.jpg

SDC11799.jpg

SDC11800.jpg

SDC11801.jpg

SDC11802.jpg

SDC11803.jpg

SDC11804.jpg

SDC11805.jpg

SDC11806.jpg

SDC11807.jpg

greentoad said:
Gwar72 said:

Hi

Rear Seat Covers = Flash for the white, and then 3m Finesse and Autoglym Interior Cleaner, and a scrubbing brush and lots of effort for the fabric. I also used lots of water and soap between stages.

Hope this helps.

J.

Cheers for that..!! :) Great work there..!! 8)

Latest posts