Gary Speed RIP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dockofthebay

Reaction score
I apologise if I have posted this is in the wrong section.
I was stunned at the announcement of the death of footballer Gary Speed today at the age of 42. Gary was a superb ambassador for Newcastle United and a true professional. He will be a big miss to football.
RIP Gary Speed

what a loss.Superb professional who managed to play well beyond the recommended retirement age for premier league footballers.I for one will miss you.

Could'nt believe it myself and under the circumstances also, will be a great loss to many, watched him many times at Bolton, RIP Speedo :cry:

Shocked as I put the tv on for the Swans game today. So many players both from our side and Villa knew or had played with / for him that the game probably on went ahead as the cameras were there. His stature as a role model of how a true pro foootballer can be even these days is there as an example for all to see. A true great.

couldnt believe it when i heard it. I know he was under pressure with the Wales job but topping his self. crazy. RIP

Feel sorry for the bloke as this was obvious a massive decision, but i find it very selfish when you leave behind loved ones and your kids to a future without their dad. Only my own views mind and find suicide a very selfish act indeed.

R.I.P . Gary Speed.
You don't have to be Welsh or support the teams he played for to appreciate he was a great ambassador for football and sport in general.

Couldn't believe it - saw him earlier on TV and he was cracking jokes.

Very sad indeed, I guess when you reach that state of mind then all rationality is lost. RIP :(

Still devastated, sad day for football in general. Always seemed like a top guy, great ambassador for football and was doing a top job rejuvenating the Welsh side. Lets hope the boys can qualify for Brazil as a tribute. RIP Gary and thanks for giving everything whenever you played for or managed Wales

It is very sad news that Gary Speed, an ex professional footballer and professional football manager has died at such a young age. The newspapers and television have been reporting the story endlessly over the last two days. Meanwhile another soldier has been killed at an even younger age and has received a 30 second mention on the news. While it is sad that these two people have died, we must remember that one chose to take his own life, whereas the other did not get that choice. We remorse the deaths of celebrities for days, weeks, months and years, unfortunately we forget the fallen heroes in the forces within minutes of hearing the news (maybe because it is happening far to regular and we're all used to hearing it!!). My thoughts are with both of the families and to all of the fallen heroes. RIP

Watched Gary play many times for Bolton Wanderers, a very sad loss indeed & for me beyond belief why he's decided
to do this.
I don't want to speculate on why Garys took his own life but I found this an interesting read by a respected
news paper before Garys death.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/the-secret-footballer?newsfeed=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Gary x

I lost a really good friend last year by the same thing :cry:

I just can't understand it really. Such sad news must be a Dark place :(

R.I.P Gary Speed

Condolences to his family,friends,players who had the pleasure to play with and against him and the current Welsh squad

shocking news as it would appear this came completely out of the blue. very sad for his wife, kids and family and everyone else who knew him.

one suspects there's more to this story and speculations/revelations will come out in the next few days and weeks.

can't imagine how his kids will be affected by this for the rest of their lives. by the sound of it he was a top bloke all round so makes it even harder to understand what triggered his actions.

Latest posts