GAUGES ADDED

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleoMar

Reaction score
I really needed to know the oil pressure and charging capacity of my alternator hence making use of the vacant
radio spot. Took a while to measure and fashion the wooden plug with correct diameter holes for the gauges
but am happy with the outcome. Wiring them up is the next task. This is a 71 Westy LHD.
I will add a radio later built in to the cabinets yet to be built.

Attachments

• Volts and Pressure Gauges.JPG
    Volts and Pressure Gauges.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
How did you get on with the wiring of your pressure gauge. I’m just about to add temp and 5 bar pressure VDO gauge.

Cheers Gabs

I really needed to know the oil pressure and charging capacity of my alternator hence making use of the vacant
radio spot. Took a while to measure and fashion the wooden plug with correct diameter holes for the gauges
but am happy with the outcome. Wiring them up is the next task. This is a 71 Westy LHD.
Thats nice, top work

Very nice indeed 👌

How did you get on with the wiring of your pressure gauge. I’m just about to add temp and 5 bar pressure VDO gauge.

Cheers Gabs
I am using an electrical oil pressure sender off a T junction into the engine casing. This way I can also keep the sender for the dash "idiot" light functional as well. Regards C

These are the gauges I fitted so I have an idea what going on at the back. I made up a cable harness and ran them from front to back.

These are the gauges I fitted so I have an idea what going on at the back. I made up a cable harness and ran them from front to back.Screenshot_20240907_140447_Gallery.jpg

The little button bit in the middle is the mic for the hands free for my phone.
The temp gauges are a great addition. I ran out of space to mount one but it may be a job for another day. Your installation is neat.

Standard VW Type 2 alternators, have a maximum output of 50 or 55 Amps.

To determine how much current is being supplied by the dynamo / alternator and/or battery, one needs a remote-shunt ammeter, ideally with at least two shunt-resistors & changeover switch.

The four "must-have" gauges for the 1968~79 VW 1600 & 17/18/2000 Type 2 are:

0~5 Bar oil-pressure gauge

50~150 ºC oil-temperature gauge

50~300 ºC cylinder-head-temperature gauge with two gauge senders & changeover switch

8~16 V or 0~16 V voltmeter

329864.jpg

VDO Cockpit, -25~40ºC & 50~300ºC, ambient-air & C.H. temp.

329862.jpg

VDO Cockpit, 50~150ºC & 0~5 Bar, oil temperature & pressure

329861.jpg

52 mm VDO Cockpit 0~6000 rpm alternator-sensed engine-tachometer

1727490.jpg

W-terminal creation on a VW Type 4 engine's Bosch alternator

329871.jpg

329868.jpg

VDO Cockpit 50A ammeter & 1.0 Bar vacuum gauge

1780309.jpg

VDO 100~900 degC Exhaust-Gas Temperature gauge kit

1782856.jpg