Gear shift rod hits beam adjuster :(

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublicious

Reaction score
Hi,

My gear shift rod hits the beam adjuster, what are my options please? Its not an option to remove beam and reweld further round as I only have a short amount of time to get the bus sorted. I have been tweaking it in my pipe bender though bigger bends will effectively shorten the shift rod :/

Take care,

J

I bought some ssp adjusters(not fitted yet) and noticed that One of
The non welded half moon piece was shorter than the other one.
i queried the place I bought it from and they told me that
it was for the top beam as some foul the shift rod.

I have just fitted a creative engineering beam with wagenwest dropped spindles and have the same problem. I want to raise it one more notch but the gear selector is touching, I would be interested as well in what people do? We can't be the only two to come across this problem lolight70

Quick and easy solution - cut down the bolt / threaded section that holds the beam adjuster in place. As long as there's enough thread for the nut to lock it fully, you should be ok. It may mean that you need to put a slot in the end of it so that it can be removed in future.

alpsbay said:
I have just fitted a creative engineering beam with wagenwest dropped spindles and have the same problem. I want to raise it one more notch but the gear selector is touching, I would be interested as well in what people do? We can't be the only two to come across this problem lolight70

Have a quick Google and its a problem people have time and time again. Some people move the top adjustser round but then you have issues adjusting, some flatten the rod and some cut and section. Just surprised no one has engineered an alternative

Moseley said:
Quick and easy solution - cut down the bolt / threaded section that holds the beam adjuster in place. As long as there's enough thread for the nut to lock it fully, you should be ok. It may mean that you need to put a slot in the end of it so that it can be removed in future.

Its more to do with the position of the adjuster as the bolt and nut are in the way. Can't really do much about the but :/

See here for what I & a few others have done

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29575&p=275196#p275196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this helps.

Phil.

I have a Foksy adjuster fitted and it slightly fouled it. Some "gentle" adjustment of the shift rod with a hammer soon sorted it. That was 8 years ago now and I have not had any problems shifting gears since.

Just an update, I just hammered the top of the tube a little bit. I checked all the gears & it works fine. Thanks guys

I managed to adjust the beam adjusters so the nut is out the way then tweeked the shift rod in my plumbers bender ;) all seems fine and gear changes are OK. thanks guys

Latest posts