Gear shifter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachey

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for some advice, I have a 1970 bay with sloppy gear change, am looking at fitting a shifter, what's the best one for the job, bearing in mind I'm not made of money! Many thanks :?: :?:

Gene berg bus shifter. Probably best one going around, Out of stock of RHD at the moment. About 300 quid.

Vintage speed. Also get good reviews. Classic look alot like the OG one. About 200 quid.

Empi shifter. Not too highly regarded. You get what you paid for. About 60 quid.

Scat shifter. Don't know anything about. About 100 quid.

There are other options but these tend to be the most common. All claim to reduce throw and sit higher than stock. Mixed reviews so do your research.

Peachey said:
Hi I am looking for some advice, I have a 1970 bay with sloppy gear change, am looking at fitting a shifter, what's the best one for the job, bearing in mind I'm not made of money! Many thanks :?: :?:

Keep the stock shifter and spend your money on the shift rod bushes and coupling first, otherwise you'll have an expensive shifter and a sloppy gear change.....

Thanks for your advice peeps, am a newby so any advice much appreciated. Thank you :)

I did as Sparkywig suggested and had all the bushes and rods checked and replaced but my gear selection was still like stirring lumpy porridge.

I emailed Gene Berg in the states to get a LHD Locking Shifter and after receiving that and installing it the difference was and is like night and day - I am still staggered by how much better the Berg shifter is. Reverse lockout is also useful to prevent you trying to go from 3rd into rev! :oops:

I will always have a gene berg fitted from now on! 8)

StuF said:
I did as Sparkywig suggested and had all the bushes and rods checked and replaced but my gear selection was still like stirring lumpy porridge.

I emailed Gene Berg in the states to get a LHD Locking Shifter and after receiving that and installing it the difference was and is like night and day - I am still staggered by how much better the Berg shifter is. Reverse lockout is also useful to prevent you trying to go from 3rd into rev! :oops:

I will always have a gene berg fitted from now on! 8)

I'm sold Stu. Just waiting for RHD to come back in stock. :?

Think Prowagen have the LHD models in stock

http://www.prowagen.com/GEAR-SHIFTERS/Gene-Berg-Bus-Shifter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8) 8)

sparkywig said:
Peachey said:

Keep the stock shifter and spend your money on the shift rod bushes and coupling first, otherwise you'll have an expensive shifter and a sloppy gear change.....

sparks is right, bushes and coupling should have it sorted for a good price

dubscum said:
sparkywig said:
Peachey said:

After thart is done, get the berg. :lol:

dubscum said:
sparkywig said:
Peachey said:

Any idea of the best place to source these bushes and couplings? I think i may be in need of some! :?

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Any idea of the best place to source these bushes and couplings? I think i may be in need of some! :?

Any of the usual places sell the shuttlecock bushes, although you may need to take the gearbox out to replace the one on the long linkage. its a bit of a faff that way :roll: .
the rear gearbox coupling is easy, although i know some people say that although rubber perishes its better than poly bush. I have the poly bush, just remember to locktight/wire the little square bolts
(i learnt the hard way when it dropped out on the M5! :lol: bye bye gear change)

strutt said:
the rear gearbox coupling is easy, although i know some people say that although rubber perishes its better than poly bush.

I found that the poly bush is fine but put these in the old cage.

Des

Latest posts