Gearbox Experts please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishSilver

Reaction score
I have a stock box that is crunching a bit on a quick shift in 3rd so am going to be sending it away for a rebuild. I am after some advise really please with what I'm running as to wether I should just have things overhauled or have a 4.57 ring & pinion. I have a 1776 engine with big wheels 215/75/15 the pic shows my max power (not sure but think its around 95bhp). The tyres are not something that can be changed, just thought id best get some advise from you guys in the know :D before I order a wrong job, lol.

sparkywig said:
I'd have a word with whoever you plan to rebuild your gearbox.
Hopefully they should be able to advise you better than us. If not I'd find someone else.... :)
Ah .... but how do you know if they know their stuff ... without some input from the clever people on here ;) 8)

I had a 4.57 ring and pinion and a taller 4th put in my 3 rib with a 100bhp 1906. I was running 185 75 14s and it drove perfectly. The gap between 3rd and 4th is a bit big but it sat @ 70 under 3500.

Speak to Pete at Cogbox as he knows his stuff and will advise accordingly 😉

sparkywig said:
I'd have a word with whoever you plan to rebuild your gearbox.
Hopefully they should be able to advise you better than us. If not I'd find someone else.... :)

Wise words, although to get a bit of info beforehand helps to make you sound like you know what you're on about, helps to prevent getting your pants pulled down.

Bundy said:
Speak to Pete at Cogbox as he knows his stuff and will advise accordingly 😉
Just come off of the phone from Pete funnily enough. Like you say knowledgeable guy. He advised against the rack and pinion and to have a taller 4th put in if my wheels are to be kept. 2k for a brand new build with me keeping my existing box as a spare just in case I want stock again down the road, £1700 with a trade in,sound about right?

Not sure about prices now as mine was done a few years ago...didn't cost that much back then, but was still going strong when I killed the engine!

think mine was a grand about 5 years ago but prices do seem to have jumped in the past few years

Latest posts