Gearbox gone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPBerry2011

Reaction score
Hi chaps.

I was hoping somebody could offer some advice. Returning home from Latitude today we needed to be recovered after I couldnt get the bus into any gear apart from second gear. It wouldnt even go into neutral. Historically over the past 6 months or so it has been popping out of third gear when accelerating away after braking. I had hoped to get the gearbox reconditioned this Autumn with Limebug but may have to bring those plans forward. Wondering if anybody might be able to diagnose the most likely issue and whether it will need a recondition and haul out, or whether there is a quicker/cheaper fix like new bushings that could be done without engine/gearbox out. Any help would be much appreciated as our family Cornwall holiday may have to be cancelled :(
We also have JustSo Festival in three and a half weeks so definitely needs sorting for that.

Cheers guys.

Chris.
c9850726a47d8d8724b5188d88faf10e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Honestly, it’s going to have to come out. If it was popping out of gear, that’s an internal issue. It’s likely that something has broken off now and is stopping you from changing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
Honestly, it’s going to have to come out. If it was popping out of gear, that’s an internal issue. It’s likely that something has broken off now and is stopping you from changing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought as much. Thanks.

Where is the bus now? I live and have a VW workshop in Felixstowe, about an hour from where latitude is held. Could come have a look if your still in the area?

I suspect the gearbox was on the way out and has failed completely. Jumping out of gear is a common fault in old vws.

K@rlos said:
Where is the bus now? I live and have a VW workshop in Felixstowe, about an hour from where latitude is held. Could come have a look if your still in the area?

I suspect the gearbox was on the way out and has failed completely. Jumping out of gear is a common fault in old vws.
Back home in North West now thanks mate. Kind of you to offer. Think I'll have to drop it out and get it to Limebug which is up our way.

I had the same problem.
See the last posting on this thread
there's a youtube video. It's fiddly but you might be able to do it through the reverse switch opening, worth ago if it saves pulling the gear box, otherwise get the nose cone off.

As most of the gearbox are old a good precautiong is to change gear slower and only let the clutch out once it's in gear, obvious enough, but I am used to modern gearboxes which can used and abused, so have to remind myself when I am driving the van.

There is a thread on TLB where it shows a gearbox apparently rebuilt by LB, its not impressive work.

I do not rate limebugs workmanship or products at all, overpriced and poor quality.

Cogbox or John Walklett are the best for gearbox’s

Latest posts