Gearbox recommendation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
I am looking into upgrading my engine to a 1776cc and was wondering if the standard box would still be ok for motorway cruising or whether I should either have the original re-built with a different 4th gear or if there is another standard box that is a good upgrade?

All comments welcome

I am running a more powerful engine and a standard box, it runs fine but lowering the revs on a cruise would make the journey more enjoyable I guess. although I just turn the stereo up.

But you will get a nicer cruise with a box with a taller 4th gear as the revs will be low. But there is also an argument that the engine produces its most efficient cooling at a certain rev range (I believe it is around 4,200rpm - I am sure someone more knowledgable will be along to correct me if I am wrong)

But if you are running an external oil cooler your engine will be running cooler anyway so maybe a moot point.

There you go, get one if you want, dont if you dont :)

4200rpm sounds a bit high to me,

Our busses were designed to cruise at 50 to 60 mph tops not 70mph that we try and achieve these days.

The larger a rear tyre you run the better the gearing and also thinking of either getting your box rebuilt with a taller fourth or buying a freeway flyer gearbox is an easy way to go.

You can fit a later 76 to 79, 6 ribbed 091 gearbox but it involes a bit of modification.

The freeway flyers you can get built in an earlybay 002 box so no messing around just a straight swap with a brand new gearbox.

Alex VW Heritage said:
4200rpm sounds a bit high to me,

Our busses were designed to cruise at 50 to 60 mph tops not 70mph that we try and achieve these days.

The larger a rear tyre you run the better the gearing and also thinking of either getting your box rebuilt with a taller fourth or buying a freeway flyer gearbox is an easy way to go.

You can fit a later 76 to 79, 6 ribbed 091 gearbox but it involes a bit of modification.

The freeway flyers you can get built in an earlybay 002 box so no messing around just a straight swap with a brand new gearbox.
Ps if I went for a good 2nd hand late box what sort of mods would need to be done?

5erge said:
Just get yourself down to see Peter @ cogbox :mrgreen:

I'll hopefully second that in the next couple of weeks as he has mine at the mo!

A problem a friend had when he got a tall fourth was hills and also up the strip. Hills was a case of dropping down and up the strip changing from third to fourth didn't keep the momentum going.

If you can get a hold of a standard 2.0 late bay box you will be on to a winner. Gives nice cruising speed on the freeway and lower gears are unaffected.

curly head said:
Ps if I went for a good 2nd hand late box what sort of mods would need to be done?
If you can find a good 091 for reasonable money can I borrow your magic wand afterwards? Even the knackered (and beyond repair) ones are silly money now unless you're very lucky.

Unless you're drag racing rebuilding your box with a taller final and/or 4th as 5erge says is probably the least painful way forwards. Plus you'll know it's good for a while if its been rebuilt.

It's true...took me a few months to find mine, cost me £700. Think it would be hard to replace.

None to the ratios if you are running a big engine they should be sweet. You will need to swap the input shaft and bell housing or change the starter motor to one from a late. No big deal really. If you get your engine builder to do it he can shorten the shaft to suit. Normally around 8-10mm is all.

Humphrey said:
None to the ratios if you are running a big engine they should be sweet. You will need to swap the input shaft and bell housing or change the starter motor to one from a late. No big deal really. If you get your engine builder to do it he can shorten the shaft to suit. Normally around 8-10mm is all.
Sounds quite simple, the old problem is I am going to attempt to be an 'engine builder' :lol:

Just go for a Type 1 gearbox. It only requires a small modification and it is much better on the freeway ;)

Marriedblonde said:
I am running a more powerful engine and a standard box, it runs fine but lowering the revs on a cruise would make the journey more enjoyable I guess. although I just turn the stereo up.

But you will get a nicer cruise with a box with a taller 4th gear as the revs will be low. But there is also an argument that the engine produces its most efficient cooling at a certain rev range (I believe it is around 4,200rpm - I am sure someone more knowledgable will be along to correct me if I am wrong)

But if you are running an external oil cooler your engine will be running cooler anyway so maybe a moot point.

There you go, get one if you want, dont if you dont :)

Hi,
I am having a 2110cc built I spoke at length to the builder about the best cruising speed. The builder recommends to keep it at 3200 RPM for trouble free maintenance. But... the guys at Rancho say 2,600 RPM is ok. The Rancho box I'm getting will do 74.6 mph at 3,600, so I guess I'm looking at 71/2 mph at 3200 rpm, which I think is a good speed and does not compromise the engine.

LV

Latest posts