gearbox swop ? closeout

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronmidg

Reaction score
changing a 3 rib box for a 6 rib on 1800 AP engine.

The starter standoff from the engine face are about 1cm bigger on the 6 rib, so my existing starter which fits the casing wont reach the flywheel and the starter pilot bearing isnt engaged.

The clutch housing casing looks the same depth (engine to diff mounting faces) on both boxes, and the clutch housing mounting to the diff looks the same, the clutch release position relative to the engine is the same so can I swop the clutch housings and then use my current starter starter?

edit
just to put on record for anyone else doing same, the three rib boxes are studded and the 6 rib bolted, but as the bellhousing boss thicknesses are same this is not a problem, clutch arm ditto need to find a couple of bolts, also swopped over the front mount which is a bit longer on the three rib, I did re-flat the bellhousing face (gearbox side) which looked like it had been overtightened before as this is an oil sealing face with a very thin gasket, but job done, all back in the bus now and running nicely.

Latest posts