gearstick sheared off & van stuck in gear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
reversing van into garage and my vintagespeed gear stick literally came away in my hand!
it has sheared off by the locking nut, see pics and apologies for quality
luckily i still have my original VW gearstick, but can I swap this in while it's in gear or should I take some mole grips to the stub of the shaft and try to knock it out of gear first? It'll be easier to work on if i can get the van out of the garage first

and I will of course be reporting back to vintagedan to see if I just had a duff one or what - I only bought it in March 2012 and have probably done 2-3,000 miles since

gerry

I don't know if it is common practise but I have changed mine with it in gear and I think some people suggest fitting when I 2nd.

I found the standard gear stick very easy to get back on and changing gear smoothly.

Gerry also did you V/S shifter work nice and smooth as I have really struggled with my one so have reverted back to standard.

Mine sheared after 400 miles, spoke to Dan at Vintage Speed uk and they now don't sell the stainless one, mine was in reverse too! They now make a titanium one which I bought! Dan says the outlet that you bought it from has to replace even after a year and a bit like mine was!

VW Heritage did not want to know!!!

Offered me free shipping if I bought something else!!!!!

Bought my titanium one from Dan and he says he will honour any guarantee vintage speed gives!!!
reza4yjy.jpg

*Sam* said:
I don't know if it is common practise but I have changed mine with it in gear and I think some people suggest fitting when I 2nd.

I found the standard gear stick very easy to get back on and changing gear smoothly.

Yeah when swapping them I always do it in second. I can't actually remember why but I'm sure I read something somewhere :lol:

Mine sheared also, Dan exchanged with no issues thus honouring his guarantee and promise, tho I have now reverted back to standard for the time being.

Well Dan responded almost by return and has offered a replacement foc, so that's good, but like Foz, I think I'll go back to stock for a while

Sam, no the V/S was never as smooth as the CSP or Berg shifters I've tried, which I guess put extra stress on the shaft and contributed to it's early demise

Juppster, have you fitted the new V/S shifter and is it OK?

Now going to try to swap over to the original stick

That is a terrible design if you have to thread the stick down at the bottom, with all the leverage when changing gear its bound to bend then snap.
Same principle of doing up your rear hub nuts with a 6' scaffold pole, it's not right! Great that Dan helps you out unlike the guys you bought it from :evil:

Dose anybody know how to tell which gear stick you have ie, original Vintage speed and the new design ?

Cheers
Sam

The original V/S shifters were welded and handed, left or right
The new ones are threaded to allow left or right hand drive fitting
As and when I get my replacement, I'll let you know if there's any visible difference

Ahh ok so I theory my threaded one will be the new style that won't snap

*Sam* said:
Ahh ok so I theory my threaded one will be the new style that won't snap

Unfortunately not!
When I said "original' I meant before the threaded ones!
According to Dan, the newer threaded ones have a titanium rather than steel shaft

Latest posts