Generator 'G' Light on dash

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davedub

Reaction score
Not to sure about this. But anyway.

While driving along at low rev I hit a hill. Gave the bus a few revs and the red G light in the dash came on. The battery became draind a few hours later.

I have had a look at the top brush and this looks good. Have not checked the bottom one as this is very difficult to remove from the dynamo. I have also replaced the regulator on the bus.

I am currently charging the battery overnight to hopefully have a bit of further investigation tomorrow.

Not to sure what to do next and a mechanic has told me " engine out the dynamo is gone." But just wanted to check this is correct as it will cost a fortune.

Are there any things I have not checked. I.e. do not know how to check voltage output from dynamo. I presume volt meter on the positive of the top of dynamo and a good ground on the chassis.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

you can change it with the engine left in,http://www.vw-resource.com/generator.html#voltage

Maybe check the earths on the regulator and the dynamo , put a volt meter across the battery and rev up the engine , should show around 14 volts , if not check the voltage across the dynamo, and then the regulator . If still no good maybe change the bushes fire what they cost , which can be done in situe all be it a but fiddly . Work through the easier and cheaper bits first , but make sure all earths and clean and tight , I owe many an electrical nightmare to nothing more than a crusty earth lead . Hope this helps :)

Oh and how old is the battery ? New batteries these days don't seem to slowly deteriorate like they used to , they just suddenly stop accepting charge , even if the battery is fairly new might be worth getting it checked , most places will check the cells condition for free :)

Latest posts