GLADYS: GOING "BACK TO BEIGE' 68 RESTO.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys, that's just the inspiration I needed to get me started on taking the
backrests apart to reduce the height by 2 inches.
It's probably a bit anal, but if I don't take them apart and alter them now, I'll notice it every time I see them ! :roll:

Too late now , I've already started taking them apart :lol:

Thanks guys.

Managed to cut down the backrests down by 2 inches and fit them back in time for the line-up at Sandown VoWo Show.
It was a pain in the 'arris to do but I think it was worth doing ....

IMG_0399_zps8bbe7daf.jpg

Back in place they look better the same height as the cab seats ....

IMG_0400_zps31bba569.jpg

And hopefully a good match with the back seats....

IMG_0243_zps8d6e8565.jpg

Also made a bit of progress with boxing in the electrics.....

240 v consumer unit boxed in and a 12v socket added.....

IMG_0397_zps0b06240c.jpg

And the other side is a box for the 12v aux fuse box and permanent battery charger and with another 12v socket

IMG_0394_zps13765be8.jpg

I will eventually cover the ply under the R&R bed with vinyl flooring and maybe do something to cover the
underlay but first I still need to hook the radio , interior lights etc to the new aux fuse board..

Been a while since I've posted so , for the record..............

Finished the seats , sink and cooker set up work a treat .

Great for weekends away and still having 5 seats in the back.
I've got a bigger cooker and kitchen unit for longer trips but this does the job for weekends .

Also got a small tent for storage ....

For longer camping trips with more people I got a drive away awning.
Ideal for leaving all your gear on site and having a drive around.

Played with the big boys in the line up at Volksworld Show 2013..

Still using the old girl as my daily driver summer and winter.

After freezing my bits off at all winter and at Sandown I decided it was time to get round to sorting out my heating sysytem....

Got the heater flaps opening and closing OK by the levers in the dash and thought some extra insulation wouldn't be a bad idea ....

Used some closed cell foam, then put foil wrap on top , then foil backed foam mat , and then topped off with the original insulation ...
As you can see , it is a bit thicker than the original made 100% improvement to the heat output .....

Centre tube...

Front...

Back....

Also wax oiled the complete underneath.

Found a novel way of keeping the wax oil flowing ( and yes, I've now got a new slow cooker for the kitchen ) :lol:

Also upgraded my front shocks to Gaz adjustable coilovers as I had a bit of arch rubbing when fully loaded......

Also had a couple of brake cylinders leaking so had to replace them..

Oh, and let's not forget the compulsory 'recovery vehicle photo' :oops:

On my way to the Isle of Wight for 4 days of music and beer and ......

Didn't even make the Southampton Ferry .

Had to be towed to a garage in Winchester only to be told ' your engine's completely f****ed mate . No compression whatsoever !

After the embarrassing ride home on the back of the AA truck it turned out the all that had happened was the engine overheated and the tappets seized.

Easy fix once the engine was cold - panic over !!!!!

I have now fitted an oil temperature warning sensor ;)

But, just when you think it's safe to go back in the water, I had a knocking sound from the rear.
My rear wheel was going at a different speed to my rear hub :shock:

The split pin securing the castle nut had fallen out and the thread on the axle was knackered and the slots for the axle splines had virtually disappeared...

So after getting a new stub axle and hub I took the opportunity to change the rear wheel bearings and grease seals while I was at it...

Old bearings and seals out...

New inner bearings in...

Outer bearing in

And new grease seals in...

And finally new axle and hub back in place...

That's about it ... 'till the next breakdown :lol:

Latest posts