Gower, besides the beach any good places to visit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobreoc

Reaction score
Off to the gower next weekend....
Does anybody know of some good places to visit while we're down there?

Rhossili Down - Llangennith of course - Whitford Burrows especially if the tide is out on springs and you can see the exposed submarine forest/peat beds etc - Llanrhidian marsh - Cwm Ivy woods - endless....!!

have fun!
Rob

I love Rhossilli & Llangennith (Hill end campsite) park at either then walk along the beach to the other have some food at that end and walk across the top of the coastline back not forgetting worms head from Rhossilli, hope you got a fit dog (if you got 1). That's a good long walk, you'll definitely sleep that night... Have a great time..Kings Head Pub in Llangennith is nice, got nice accommodation 2 not that you would need it but we stayed as haven't had the bus for a while..

robjarman said:
Rhossili Down - Llangennith of course - Whitford Burrows especially if the tide is out on springs and you can see the exposed submarine forest/peat beds etc - Llanrhidian marsh - Cwm Ivy woods - endless....!!

have fun!
Rob

Cheers guys!... Thanks for the info, I will deffinaty be checking out the exposed submarine,
And ill also plan to walk back along the coast line, we have a chunky labrador that could do with some exercise....

Will post some pictures when I'm back.

Thanks again :)

robjarman said:
PS - it's always "Gower" not "the Gower" - so off to Gower this weekend...!!

I'm from and grew up near "the Gower". We always called it "the Gower", never "Gower" which sounds odd. The definite article is always used by locals in this case. The definite article illustrates the fact that there is just one Gower, one Pope and one United States etc.. But I often her BBC announcers neglect to use the definite article when describing "The ivory Coast". They call it Ivory Coast. It sounds perfectly agreeable to say The Ivory Coast. I suspect it sounds better when a country has more than one word to describe it in this way. We don't say "The England" or "The France" do we? This rule or convention would only seem to apply to countries, not small regions, such as "the Gower".

I remember having a similar discussion with a CELTA lecturer about 10 years ago at Swansea University He said something along the lines of " language is full of anomalies, exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions, if it sounds right, use it". There are rules of grammar, but these change over time or are based on fallacies or even Latin grammar, which is odd as English and Latin grammatically have very different rules!

Lesson over. .knickers no longer in twist :msn4:

But if you are visiting The Gower, Oxwitch Bay and Llanrhydian are huge expansive beaches with strong winds which are idea for surfing and land Yachting, it's not overly full of tourists too, so you can have the beaches to yourself!

LV

The gower heritage museum is great, when we went in 2012 we brought a new fire poker which the blacksmith made in front of is in a demo!!
Might not be open this time of year but well worth the visit

Latest posts