grrr - broken oil filter sump stud (pics)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Now then EB doctors. as you can see,one of the studs that holds the oil filter on has broken off in the case.

There was not enough to get a grip with mole grips,I thought I could cut across the top and turn it into a screw and un screw it,but he stud is too soft and the metal just twisted off.

So, the picture is where I'm at a the moment.I'm wary of swarf going into the engine,so I'll have to cover the sump hole up.I was thinking of a stud extractor but the top surface is un even so not sure the drill be able to make a pilot hole.

HOW AM I GOING TO GET THE BLIGHTER OUT?? - any suggestions please ?

brokensumpstud.jpg

brokensumpstud1.jpg

IS THAT THE ONE WITH THE NUT HOLDING OIL PICKUP ,THAT COULD BE WHY YOU CANT UNDO IT ;) awkward to get nut off though :?

67panel said:
IS THAT THE ONE WITH THE NUT HOLDING OIL PICKUP ,THAT COULD BE WHY YOU CANT UNDO IT ;) awkward to get nut off though :?

don't know matey - doesn't sound good if it is!! Its been like that for years but thought I'd get it all sorted while the lump is on the desk.

Ok heres how , Your gunna have to drill it out . So centre punch the stud then usuing a 2.5mm drill bill you need to slowly drill through the stud . Now your concerned with swarf dropping in teh motor so ... Cut a large piece of cardboard to fit into the engine between the case and the gap between the oil plate this will then sit under the bolt your going to drill through , Then get the family Dyson and put the long thin attachment on the end . Place this between the cardboard and the engine case and turn it on . This will then suck any metal dropping in to the case from the drilling up the hoover . Repeat this process while drilling the rest of the stud out . You should go 2.5mm pilot hole then a 3.5mm then a 4.5mm . Dont go any bigger than a 4.5mm as the stud in the engine is M6 x 1.0 pitch and alowing for a bit of hand drill wobble this should take it out to 5mm.

Then you shouldnt have virtually any stud left , If you have tap the remains of the stud around using a flat bladed screw driver till it winds out

I hope this Helps dude

:mrgreen:

Thanks chaps - all advice much apprciated! Deano, am I right in thinking that I'll have to level of the remainder of the stud so as to get a good start with the punch & 2.5mm drill?
Cheers - Rob

p.s. - where do you et a new stud from?? are they standard B&Q foder? :?

OK chaps - Thanks very much - all sorted now! I always like to close the thread down & thank those who help,sorry its a belated THANKS!

Cheers - Rob

noddy said:
For future referance, buy an "easyout" used in aerospace for exactly this application.

I've no idea what you mean, but the standard "easyouts" are completely useless. In 40 years of dealing with broken studs, I have never successfully removed one with an easyout. Why? Because they actually expand the stud locking it into the hole - they are complete rubbish. Worse still you risk breaking the easyout which is then impossible to remove. There are some better designs but they are very expensive and IMO don't work very well.
Drilling out studs is by far the best option, providing you use good quality sharp drills at slow speed. I also use another method where I weld a nut to the stud and use a spanner on it - works very well because the welding heat breaks the corrosion.

We use them here at Bentley Motors all the time and dont have any issue most of the time.

If your using cheep shit halfords ones then can I suggest you buy from a proper engineering supplier.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-cobalt-drill-and-easy-out-set-prod462398/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Noddy ????
Is that a decent bit of kit then ??? Looks pretty good but I thought they would be a lot more expensive than that, having only ever bought second hand ones at boot sales and the like. And useing hand me downs. If you reckon they`re okay, I`ll invest in a set of them and it might be good insurance cause if you got em, might never need em. Thanks,

Ozziedog :mrgreen:

noddy said:
We use them here at Bentley Motors all the time and dont have any issue most of the time.

If your using cheep shit halfords ones then can I suggest you buy from a proper engineering supplier.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-cobalt-drill-and-easy-out-set-prod462398/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are fine if the stud is not corroded into the case, but if it is they don't work for the reason I gave above. I have an excellent quality set and they don't work! I defy anyone to remove a broken exhaust stud with these - it won't happen.
The straight fluted sets are better but still limited to lightly corroded studs.

Latest posts