Gutted - what do I do now?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little bit of work an it'll be running again...... doesn't look too bad dude you could get that back to its former glory

Good luck and keep us updated :)

Jax

sorry to see/hear the news fella.
i fitted a firetec system to my bus 18 months ago thinking that in all eventuallity i'll be safe but now i am not so sure.......
where would one be able to purchase a decent size extinguisher as a backup other than halfrauds and the like????

anyway chin up fella,i'm not a fan of tests either,i've no doubt you'll reach a high standard again.
will you claim on insurance?and did you find out what caused it??

:sick0019:

sharky71 said:
sorry to see/hear the news fella.
i fitted a firetec system to my bus 18 months ago thinking that in all eventuallity i'll be safe but now i am not so sure.......
where would one be able to purchase a decent size extinguisher as a backup other than halfrauds and the like????

I'm thinking a 2kg like this one as my back up :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360608286578;jsessionid=E3ECB8A68C010BA2870DDD5D1D46CE5B?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D360608286578%26_rdc%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well guys its back in! I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's far from perfect but with the time I had I just needed to get the bus up and running.

I've been working until late in the night and in the snow today and the engine bay is re-painted and engine running again.

My thoughts after this are - fire extinguisher powder is evil! It corrodes everything and all my nicely polished alloy is now ruined. Never mind, better than a written off van.

Secondly, if you have a firetec the problem is that in the event of a petrol leak, it goes under the van. This was a major problem to me with a large fire under the van. I would say a second 2kg dry powder extinguisher is essential.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words that motivated me to get it finished and I'll post some pics tomoz.

Cheers all

I can't really add to anything anyone's said really mate..feel for ya! know its set you back a bit, money & time wise,but it will fix & before you know it, we'll all be looking at 'BEFORE' & 'AFTER' pics.pick yourself up,dust yourself off (watching that knee of course) & onwards with the project! You seem passionate enough to carry it through to completion.

regards - Rob

Working in the fire and security trade I can recommend these guys
http://www.firesafetywarehouse.co.uk/fireextinguishers_206.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There cheap and good I Carry a 2kg powder For 25 quid :D give them a call

Im gutted for you mate,I've just purchased an extra fire extinguisher because of this thread, il also be buying a firetec system very soon.

If a firetec was fitted would it go off before the fire got going properly? I read that they go off at 80 degrees? What temperature is it normally inside an engine bay roughly?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think we should all learn from these nightmare scenarios.

Brett

Oh.go.on.then said:
Secondly, if you have a firetec the problem is that in the event of a petrol leak, it goes under the van. This was a major problem to me with a large fire under the van. I would say a second 2kg dry powder extinguisher is essential.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words that motivated me to get it finished and I'll post some pics tomoz.

Cheers all

Glad to see the bus rise from the ashes, literally. Good on'yer.

And sound advice too re the fire going under the bus. It is sobering to think that a 2kg extinguisher gives around 10-12 seconds of fire fighting time (got that from RichardAlexander's link...cheers) so the more extinguishers on board, the better, especially if it has to tackled in more than one place.

Did it have proper (high pressure and petrol safe)fuel line on it?
The pipework used doesnt look like normal fuel line.

Rich

I was sent this link by my mate scott at SJH joinery, I dont want to come across like a pushy sales person, but we had a engine bay fire in our splitty a few years ago and the system we had in failed, and the powder extinguisher we used made a mess and the AA were as good as useless and just went on about salvaging our van when we rang them. So all in all it was a pain in the backside so i can guess how gutted you must feel.

Since them we have done a lot of research into engine bay fires and could not find a product on the market that was really effective, so we have work with an American automated fire suppression company and come up with a clean gas based system specifically designed for volkswagen campers.

There is no powder or foam residue int he system to cause corrosion, it is a gas based temperature activated system. The system comes with an LED visual gauge that links to the dash. If you have an electronic fuel pump this is wired into the negative side of the pressure sender and if a fire occurs the fuel pump is automatically cut out. If a manual fuel pump a choking agent is in the gas so you will slow down. The system does not work by replacing oxygen instead it stops the chain reaction of the fire by removing the free radicals.

We showed this system of at volksworld the other weekend and it was really well received, in fact we sold out of all the stock we took.

If any one is interested in having a look at the system our web address is

http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you get the van back on the road and the damage is worse than it looks
good luck
kind regards
colleen

Latest posts