Handbrake cable slipping off

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Has anybody had this problem?

After a recent long trip with absolutely no braking issues I pulled the handbrake on and it nearly ended up on the back seat! On inspection it turned out that the offside cable had come off of the pawl, the "hook" within the brake drum assembly. I found this very curious as, despite being a touch on the "long" side, the handbrake seemed to be adjusted fine. So I hooked it back on, adjusted the tension at the handbrake end and tried again. Everything seemed fine for 2 or 3 test pulls (less throw so even better than before when it was working) then suddenly the bloody thing was off again and I was back to square 1!

Is the cable fooked? I'm wondering if the outer cable stop is sliding along the sheath or something like that, or if there are other adjustments that I haven't considered?

There is a spring on the end of the cable that fits between the cable outer and the lever arm of the brake shoe. It's this spring that prevents the pawl from disengaging from the "hook".

Ah-ha... Right, I'll check to see if that's broken. I hadn't noticed as I did the whole job in about 5 minutes in the half light last time! :)

Thanks Trikky2

As well as Trikky2's excellent information as usual, it may not seem obvious, but you can also check the handbrake cable tube to ensure it has not been bent as that will effect the length of the cable, however, it is unlikely to be your problem as your issue is the cable working loose in the drum, so as Trikky says, it is probably a missing / worn / incorrectly installed spring.

Check the main shoe springs too as the cable 'return spring' might be working, but the shoes are not being retracted by their spring, meaning the handbrake leaver stays in place whilst the handbrake cable is pushed back by the return spring and unhooks itself.

Latest posts