Have i bitten of more than I can chew???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathtrap-camper

Reaction score
Picture001.jpg

When I got my camper there where a few holes that I knew about!

But I decided to remove the belly pan and side bits and this is what I found (after the front jacking point/outrigger fell off!) I am now a bit scared because the main chassis rails are full of holes.

Can I plate around this hole and then weld a new outrigger on? Will the MOT man accept it? Or is my van for the scrap heap? A

Has anyone else found similar things after removing belly pans?

HELP!!!!

Picture002.jpg

Can be repaired fella, but dont bodge it, as its a place that needs some good honest welds 8)

Bet your glad that you found em now, could be nasty if they gave out down the M5! :shock:

Scampi said:
Anything is repairable dude. Some things just need more attention than others!

What is the green stuff? :shock:

When I removed my belly pans, on my supposed rust free US import that is what I found. You could plate it and refit an outrigger, but that is a big area. I'd be tempted to get a piece of chassis section from a donor bus.

dont worry dude think mine looks alot worse but all getting repaired

you can buy repair panels for this

a mate of mine is making mine out of 5mm plate and going to coat the whole underneath when finished

think the green stuff is that KURUST stuff that eats rust

Have you got a cold dude, did you sneeze while you were poking under the van?. That kind of corrosion is typical on an early bay, you can buy new chassis sections to weld in if neccessary or you could plate it if you have some good substancial steel plating. Good luck!!! :wink:

The green stuff is "Hammerite Rust Remover" Works really well but I think I might need a tanker to deliver me what im gonna need :D

Got a bloke comming to look at the van on sat to give me a price to fix that bit and other bits

Latest posts