Head stud question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbiscuit

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the later 8mm head studs on an SP engine.

I've seen upgrade kits to fit TP heads to SP case, but those seem to be heads only, which I guess means the 10mm and 8mm studs are interchangeable between heads.
I read about the problem of 10mm studs pulling out of the case due to different rates of thermal expansion, which VW fixed in later type 1 engines with case savers and smaller (8mm) diameter studs.
I've suffered from pulled studs on my van and fitted M14 / 10mm case savers to "fix" the problem, but it still has 10mm studs of course, which still pull harder on the case than the 8mm of the later engines.

So this is just to ask if anyone has any tips or warnings about fitting 8mm studs with case savers in an SP case/head engine

Thanks for reading :)

Hi there

Fitting case savers and 8mm headstuds is a great upgrade. For a stock engine, all you want is a set of OG studs, washers and nuts. Try to find on Ebay, they pop as a set for sale sometimes. Only issue is the two middle studs won’t fit the Sp engine, so you will need four more of the upper outer studs.
If you can’t get an OG set, buy a new standard non chromoly set specific for the SP engine, they sell them like that ready to fit the SP.

Abel

Latest posts