headliner metal j trim needed !!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebug

Reaction score
Anyone know where to locate some metal J trim,fitting ply headliner but cant locate any trim for it to drop into,any pointers appreciated,thanks D .... :? :?

Wrecking yards or f you have a quality hardware chain stores like home depot / lowes ..... They have plastic or sometime metal j strips in the bathroom paneling dept area.

Good luck !

Hi, I've been through this pain! Tried all the usual VW options in the UK without joy and the DIY options but couldn't find anything that I liked. Ended up getting some original ones from the States through TheSamba.com. Search under 'Headliner' in the classifieds. I've had a quick look there are some on offer. The parts were reasonable enough, carriage was horrendous! Otherwise its the shows and a lot of luck.

Nigel

I looked at Gooding Aluminium and almost went that way. Just wasn't for me. They provide small samples; worth getting hold of if you're considering it. The J channel was quite a thick gauge. The H strip was good but I don't have the tooling or skills to shape that.

I've found the samples Gooding sent me. Let me know if they are of interest to you and I'll send them your way.

If you look on Goodings site they are J profiles WP1 & WP2 and H profile WO1

Nigel

Nigel said:
I've found the samples Gooding sent me. Let me know if they are of interest to you and I'll send them your way.

If you look on Goodings site they are J profiles WP1 & WP2 and H profile WO1

Nigel
thanks for offer mate,but as said need min order of 100 quid,do they look good though bud ?

The samples are only an inch or so long so difficult to make a judgement. I'm aware others on the site have used them. I don't have the skills so not an option for me.

I am also considering using gooding but also held back by the £100 min spend, egotripins headliner looks great in the flesh the fittings he used from gooding are a good fit but I believe he worked realy quiet hard to get the the finish he has. having said that if a group buy is arranged I will go in for it if I have the readies at the time.

All you need to bend the 'I' trims are your hands and feet and a lot of care!

I might take a rolling pin to the 'I' sections just to smooth out the bends.

Unless you can find OG westy trims, the Gooding ones are the only option that looks close to OG (size wise anyway. The finish is a bit different but if all the trim looks the same then it looks good) . I spent months looking at all the options before doing mine. There isn't a lot out there.

Hi all

If enough people are interested I'm happy to place an order that will cover everyones needs and hold some in stock for the future so if you are interested drop me a line and let me know,

Graham L said:
Hi all

If enough people are interested I'm happy to place an order that will cover everyones needs and hold some in stock for the future so if you are interested drop me a line and let me know,
im very interested graham,let me know of payment method and estimated delivery as need pretty soon mate thanks Dave.....

If plasterers are plastering an external corner then they attach a piece of mesh to the corner. The edge of the mesh is a nice piece of j-trim, in thin gauge galvanised steel, obviously the mesh would need cutting off.
http://www.buildingsuppliesrus.co.uk/admin/files/images/597d.jpg
If you get the thin coat one then it will accept 3mm ply and it only costs around £3 for a 3m length.
Can't find a decent picture to post but do a search on google for thin coat stop bead.

nora said:
If plasterers are plastering an external corner then they attach a piece of mesh to the corner. The edge of the mesh is a nice piece of j-trim, in thin gauge galvanised steel, obviously the mesh would need cutting off.
http://www.buildingsuppliesrus.co.uk/admin/files/images/597d.jpg
If you get the thin coat one then it will accept 3mm ply and it only costs around £3 for a 3m length.
Can't find a decent picture to post but do a search on google for thin coat stop bead.
Ah,i actually looked through the plastering section the other day,but this never crossed my mind,will have another look today,good idea mate !!!!

Latest posts